Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 AM

Default If You Were God

And got to choose what hands you get every time you are UTG what would they be?

The catch is you choose once and you can never change it, and your opponents know what it is

An example for NL is:

AA 70%
KK-88 5% each

I'm pretty sure AA 100% in NL would be bad, as your opponents call with KK-22 and I reckon can outplay you postflop.

So, post your hand range, and don't forget to say if it's NL or limit, although I'm guessing limit might be 100% AA
Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: If You Were God

This would actually be terrible, not because of your cards (AA rocks) but because your opponents know your hands they will never make a mistake according tot he FTOP (unless they are retarded).

Also you will be bluffed to death.

Example. You have AA and raise, 1 person calls you (and you know he called KNOWING you have AA).

Flop is K73, you bet he raised you all in, what do you do? He is representing KK, 77, or 33... does he have it? Do you have the guts to call him? etc.

In other words the power of him knowing your hole cards and you not knowing his is way better than the power of your hole cards vs. his.

Thus if I were God and could chose my UTG hand ideally it would be from a group of hands, say AA-JJ, AKs, AQs

Thus you get a great hand and everyone is still guessing a little.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:18 PM

For the record, getting AA every hand UTG would be very awesome. Just go all-in preflop every time utg and noone can call you because they know you have AA. Now, you've picked up the blinds making your orbit free. You can now play very tight without the fear of being blinded off and make a lot of money in other positions.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Woops, make that pot limit
Old 09-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Since no one answered your question:

22-66: 1% each, total 5%
77-JJ: 2% each, total 10%
QQ-KK: 2.5% each, total 5%
AA: total 65%
AKs, AQs, KQs, QJs, JTs: 2% each, total 10%
T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s: 1% each, total 5%

Gives you good hands, and keeps your opponents guessing that you still could have anything.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:11 PM

<font color="green">I'd just take AA, KK and QQ three times as often as normal, AK, AQ suited three times as often as normal, and have middle pocket pairs twice as normal.

This way, I've got a greater edge and no one can ever put me on a hand. Maybe the percentages would be a bit larger or smaller, but I'd go with that general concept. </font>
Old 09-26-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. In limit you should be able to raise -&gt; call off for profit. You'll be tied against AA, and have at least .798 chance to win against anything else.
Every time he calls on the flop and proceeds to lose you make at least 1 BB
if you call him off, and lose you'll lose 3.5 BB. That means that you'll be making .5 BB per 5 hands if all you do is call off, and you can almost certainly do better than that.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:19 PM

In limit this would be much better than NL as you put it.

In NL the best strategy is like someone else said, go all in (or make such a huge bet) that only the other AA is getting the right odds to call in which case you at worse win the blinds.

Thus worst case you win the blinds and basically are getting a blind freeroll every orbit.

Or best case, you get one or many callers, in which case you have mega +EV.

But the key thing to remember is that your opponents KNOW you have AA&lt; thus you'll get almost no action and it will be scenario 1.

Thus having a range of hands would be the max +EV, I think (NL cash game I'm thinking).
Old 09-27-2005, 12:04 AM

If I were God the first thing I would do is tell David Sklansky he was wrong.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would actually be terrible, not because of your cards (AA rocks) but because your opponents know your hands they will never make a mistake according tot he FTOP (unless they are retarded).

Example. You have AA and raise, 1 person calls you (and you know he called KNOWING you have AA).

Flop is K73, you bet he raised you all in, what do you do? He is representing KK, 77, or 33... does he have it? Do you have the guts to call him? etc.

In other words the power of him knowing your hole cards and you not knowing his is way better than the power of your hole cards vs. his.

Thus if I were God and could chose my UTG hand ideally it would be from a group of hands, say AA-JJ, AKs, AQs

Thus you get a great hand and everyone is still guessing a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just strike him dead on the spot. Once they take him away from the table, his hand is dead. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Or, if that is too bad, you are God, read his ******* mind.