Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM

Default The X-Files

When I was little I used to love the show but it started sucking hard after a while. I Tivo the TNT viewings and they are pretty entertaining and fun to watch so many years later.

Was there ever any conclusion to the whole alien/govt story-line? It started getting (well I suppose it always was) completely ridiculous and I have no idea if they ever could have concluded it, but now I've gotten curious...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: The X-Files

[ QUOTE ]
When I was little I used to love the show but it started sucking hard after a while. I Tivo the TNT viewings and they are pretty entertaining and fun to watch so many years later.

Was there ever any conclusion to the whole alien/govt story-line? It started getting (well I suppose it always was) completely ridiculous and I have no idea if they ever could have concluded it, but now I've gotten curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

you've summed up the entire show. it was awesome for a few seasons, then the story lines becomes so convoluted and contradictory that the show stopped making sense.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've summed up the entire show. it was awesome for a few seasons, then the story lines becomes so convoluted and contradictory that the show stopped making sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they stopped providing any new information. It became very obvious that their sole purpose was just to drag the show out as long as possible.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 AM

I don't really remember what happened in the end. I'm pretty sure that they left everyone hanging with the government/alien story line. That is what the show was good at, wasn't it? Actually I think that was the whole point of the show.

Most of the episodes that didn't deal with this on-going story line were good. I will watch these when they are on. If it's an alien/government consiparcy episode I'll always change it.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM

I think that if tidy endings that resolve everything are what you seek you should try disney movies or perhaps a sitcom.

I think the reasons for not resolving all of it completely were twofold. As mentioned above, Chris Carter had gone off in so many different directions that it would have been impossible to tie a bow on it and call it done. Second, I don't think he ever intended to resolve it all. It seemed to be that the message he was trying to convey all along was that all the conspiracies, alliances, double-dealings and whatnot were so deeply ingrained in the U.S. government as well as the rest of the world (and in space, apparently) that they could never fully be brought to light, especially since those in the know and working against these things were limited to around, say, 6 people. This theme was repeated many times; they find something, get in some sticky situation, get out of it, but by the time they return to expose it the government had already cleaned up the area.

You guys are right in that the last few seasons trailed off into silly rehashing of old plots w/ Dogget and whatever-the-hell-her-name-was, but that didn’t change the overall story arc. Obviously Mulder and Scully were the show, and when they pulled the ol’ switcheroo where the male became the scientist/realist and the female the intuitive believer, and Scully got pregnant and went to the Mulder side of things it got a little weak.

I need to go back and watch the series finale, because they brought a lot of things up again, but I don’t recall how much of a conclusion it really was. I heard a little while ago that they were talking about making another movie, but a check of imdb doesn’t show anything.

I think the only thing that really got resolved was Mulder and Scully's mutual desire to swap fluids.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:51 PM

the indivudual stories where they solved an x-file were awesome. i loved all the different stories.

the continuing gov't/alien/conspiracy thing was cool at first but then they never resolved any of them and kept on adding more elements to them where it got to the point where you couldn't possibly understand what was going on which really turned me off from the show.

the indivual x-file stories though were awesome.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Wasn't some of it explained in the movie? The thing about the government/alien hybrid breeding program and what not?

It's been a while since I saw the movie so I'm not exactly sure, but I know it had at least some explanations of things.

Swede
Old 06-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Default my fav episodes...

the telemarketer/bug-creature one

the one about the guy who could squeeze into anywhere (his bile like, made cocoons and stuff)

there's one where there's like, this immigrant child is possessed and it ends w/ the old woman saying that Mulder & Scully have caught Satan's attention/ire...

another one where seraphim children (w/ strange disfigurements) go out into the street and their eyes get burned out, and Satan stands by the door of a church (can't go in) and he's trying to lure Scully & the child out...

that one about the in-bred weirdo family...

the baseball/alien one (i like baseball & sci-fi; i think they named Scully after Vin Scully)

i'm sure there are others i just can't think of rite now...
Old 06-02-2005, 03:48 PM

I thought the real "how did we get to this point and what now?" questions were going to be summarized in the 2nd movie, which has apparently been backburnered and will probably never get made.

The backstory is pretty much the Majestic 12 conspiracy theory, with a few specifics thrown in to provide some continuity (black oil, etc.)

The conclusion of the Samantha arc (walk-ins/God/whomever take her to the astral plane so she won't suffer any more) pretty much killed the show for me.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: my fav episodes...

The one with the invisible people that lived in the woods was, uh... AWESOME.