Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 02:57 PM

Default A few hands from my first $60-$120 session

Played the $60-$120 game at the Borgata Monday morning. First time I've played over $30-$60. I didn't feel in over my head at all, though the game is realistically too big for my bankroll. I may have been playing a bit weak-tight at first because of this, but after an hour or so, I was completey comfortable. Profitbale first session too. Anyway, here are a couple hands:

Hand #1
I open-raise UTG+1 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Button (good, tricky) calls, blinds fold. Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls. Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. What's the plan for the rest of the hand? I led out, he called, we both checked the river (it was not noteworthy - I think it was a 7), and he showed me JTo and took down the pot. I can't think of a line that could've won me the pot here. The A was a nice scare card, but he'd have been a lot more worried about me holding an ace had I just called his flop raise rather than 3-bet it.

Hand #2
I'm UTG+1 again. Tight, straight-forward UTG open-raises. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I fold. This one was frustrating because I'd have made a boat as it turns out, but that's a fold that saves me money in the long run, correct?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: A few hands from my first $60-$120 session

Hand No. 2: Feeney would be proud.

Hand No. 1: I think that you played it fine but the obervation you made after the hand is a good one and should be kept in mind as one other way of playing the hand i.e. next time this happens, you can call the flop bet and consider that you may have 14 good cards on the turn i.e. Aces, Kings, Queens, 2 nines (obviously, you will also have to take into account that one of the 12 imaginary outs may hit your opponent, he may not believe you even if you checkraised the turn on an ace to represent AK, you may in fact be ahead with your 99 etc.)

BTW, where the heck is Borgata?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Borgata is in Atlantic City n/t