Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Check raised on the turn with AK

Villian is 20.6 VPIP 2.33 Aggression 5.6 PFR over 180 hands

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls,3 folds</font>, Hero raises</font>, 4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks,Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 raises</font> Hero??

Should I 3-bet or call?
If 3-bet do you call a cap?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Check raised on the turn with AK

hey joe

i think you should check this turn card and if the villain checks on the river you can go ahead and throw in a value bet.

since you bet the turn and got owned i just call and fold the river unimproved since i dont think villain bluffs at us if we call the turn checkraise.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

Check the turn eh? I didn't really consider that. What do you think villian check raised with? I mean should I just give him credit for the check raise, and back down in these situations?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 AM

i give him credit for a set and he can be decent enough to know that you most likely dont have a ten in your hand and can sneak in a checkraise.

joe i think when i hate getting checkraised i will usually opt to check behind and evaluate what happens on the river. if this villain frequently semibluff checkraises with flopped or turned flush draws then i will definitely showdown my hand. the villain you described (although just the pt numbers are a somewhat weak read) seems reasonably aggressive. i would give him credit here for a big hand and also give him credit enough to not bluff at me with nothing on the river especially if i show that im not folding my hand with my turn call.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 AM

call the turn and the river unless you improve; villain will be goin nuts with a smaller two pair probably 25% here justifying it.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i give him credit for a set and he can be decent enough to know that you most likely dont have a ten in your hand and can sneak in a checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have a set. OP wants to 3-bet? What's with this thread?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM

CR on the turn suggests Broadway to me (maybe he's playing AT?) or he just caught his kicker for two pair. A set seems unlikely because he'd probably get aggressive on the flop with all the draws and high cards out there. Call the turn raise, see if you fill up on the river. Call him down if you don't. Crappy turn card for you.

If you think he would CR on a draw here, then you may three-bet, but usually checkraises suggest serious strength from non-tricky players IME.

ScottieK
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i give him credit for a set

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have to be a pocket set. Online poker IS rigged, tho.

When he calls this flop and c/r's the turn he's got a broadway-plus-ten, two-pair or 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], here, around 100% of the time. Hero needs to bet/call the turn and reevaluate on the river.

Checking a scare card on this turn is terrible for the ol' meta-game.