Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Flop Top Pair, Weak Kicker from Blinds -- Bet Out?

This is a theoretical example, but I want some feedback on how you all play this flop.

Hero is in SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Six Players Limp
Hero Completes
BB Checks

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB ???

In my newbie-SSH-land, here's my gut-reaction here:
I bet out because I have top pair and therefore good pot equity, which I hope to increase with some folds.

I also fold to 2 bets back at me, and consider folding to a re-raise by a good player. I possibly call 1 raise (to avoid "bet-fold to aggression stigma" and see what the turn brings.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Flop Top Pair, Weak Kicker from Blinds -- Bet Out?

Here is my plan:

Check/fold for 2 cold. Check/call an EP bet closing the action and strongly considering betting the turn. Check/raise an LP bet.

Brad
Old 01-29-2005, 04:13 PM

You want people out of the pot as your hand is fairly weak. Betting out won't accomplish this in most micro-limit games as people call with insanely weak hands at times. Your best bet is to check the flop and go for a check raise from a late position better. If the bet comes from somebody from your right then I'd call and reevaluate the situation on the turn. If its two or more bets when it gets back to you then I'd fold as you are probably behind or atleast up against a couple of decently strong draws.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:50 PM

I have top pair and therefore good pot equity, which I hope to increase with some folds.

Ironically, getting your opponents to fold this flop might increase your equity slightly, but it will reduce your equity edge considerably. You are only going to get called by hands that beat you or have the odds to call correctly. In many cases you'll get raised by hands that you might actually beat, in which case you'd have to fold the best hand - a disaster.

Regardless, you do have an equity edge and a possibly best hand. I'll put 1 SB in the pot on the flop, and 0 UI on the turn. If nobody has shown any aggression by the river and only seemingly blank cards fell, I'll bet-fold the river.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 AM

I learned a lot from the responses to this thread. Thanks.