Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Pre-Flop Limp-Cap?

Sorry but this is terrible advice. AJo is a raise from pretty much any position at the table @ Party, unless you're at an incredibly tight table with limpers in front (which isn't going to happen). Ditto to KQo.

As for the limp-cap, it's really read dependent but I've seen it quite a few times where instead of calling the 3-bet they just cap it to "take control" with any sort of hand. That being said, AJo isn't a hand you want to see 3-bet or capped, so it's a fold.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:09 AM

Maybe you should take notice to the THREE limpers in front of him.

Sheesh.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should take notice to the THREE limpers in front of him.

Sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that sounded a bit smartass...
Old 01-29-2005, 03:28 AM

I'll let everyone else argue about the first AJo preflop decision.

I think you can see the flop on this one if you trust your postflop play (folding is not bad, either). BB's 3-bet means something, but the cap from UTG+1 is probably garbage. There are 13 SB in the pot, and it's only 2 to stay. I have a hard time believing that you're worse than 13% to win in this pot. Even in the bad case of being in a 4-way pot when you're dominated AND playing against reasonable hands AND one of your kickers is used up, you're 12% to win. In other cases, you might be as good as 20-22%. Lots of dead money in pot and a strong starting hand with position usually means call.

(Yes, reverse implied odds are in effect here, making things a little worse for you. That's why I leave the postflop play caveat in there. If you don't want to take your chances in such a high variance situation, then don't.)

I know that it looks scary, but you're in excellent position to face BB with two bets cold to feel him out if you flop favorably (if UTG+1 keeps his agressive play going).
Old 01-29-2005, 03:29 AM

It's not a tight game though. Limpers in a loose game is the norm. They could have 63o as likely as AA. Raise AJo and KQo in any loose game...from any position...no matter how many limpers there are.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked it over again, and it occured to me he's playing 8 handed in a party game. oops.

ten handed in a PS game, and I think twice about even playing AJo unless the PTF is abnormally high. Maybe this is the wrong way to approach it? I'm not a fan of AJo and ATo in general from EP and MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should learn to become a fan of it. I had some dude convinced today playing live that everytime I raised preflop, I had AJ. It is a damn good hand. Mucking it in an unraised pot is taboo round here.

Brad
Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you play the SSH tight chart? I assume the table is loose until proven otherwise...and it's hardly ever the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking to change your mind, but the reason I play the SSHE "tight" chart is that the average Party table usually meets the "tight" chart criteria, which is: "3-5 players on Average to the flop." (page 80).

SSHE "loose" chart criteria is "6-8 players on average to the flop." There are certainly family pots, etc. But on average, I'm seeing 4 or 5 players to the flop. When a table drops below 40% VP$IP, I usually leave.

For others watching - spare me the lecture on chart reliance. I've already read it and understand the lecture. At this stage in my development, I find it helpful to use SSHE starting hand guidance as a baseline and then as I learn where deviation is appropriate, I experiment.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:53 PM

Okay ladies, here's how the hand played out. I appreciate all the thoughts on this thread.

You've gotta love the winning hand here. But what is obvious is that my hand was dominated, and it's not like it was a "sneak attack." The guy made me face two cold and I gobbled it up.

Key factor: "Recent memory." What I mean is, just a few hands ago on another table, I was limp-re-rasied (but called with AKo) by a turd with J8s. I had also seen a Limp Re-Raiser at a prior table who was often doing it with garbage. I'd started to believe the "move" was machismo and not a sign of a monster hand.

Without reads, I think next time, I fold pre-flop. With a read the guy is an action player, I will probably cold-call again with that much money in the pot. I'm just not convinced a limp-re-raise is a sign of true strength even 80% of the time.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Results in white below:
UTG has 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (straight, nine high).
UTG+1 has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (one pair, fives).
Outcome: UTG wins 16.25 BB.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:47 PM

NFW -- I was just LIMP-CAPPED AGAIN this morning and AGAIN I held AJ! Whoa.

This time, I folded. Wait till you get a load of what I was RR with and limp-capped with. This is why I'm NOT convinced limp-capping is a sign of true strength. (Not a loss-whine story, I still woulda lost the hand)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 8h Kd (high card, king).
BB has 5h 5s (one pair, fives).
UTG has 6c 7c (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: UTG wins 9.50 BB. </font>
Old 01-29-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NFW -- I was just LIMP-CAPPED AGAIN this morning and AGAIN I held AJ! Whoa.

This time, I folded. Wait till you get a load of what I was RR with and limp-capped with. This is why I'm NOT convinced limp-capping is a sign of true strength. (Not a loss-whine story, I still woulda lost the hand)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds, Button folds, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a limp-cap.