Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 PM

Default 3/6 NL hand - 24o bluff

Online 3/6 NL game, both myself and villain have around $800. Villain in this hand (UTG) seems fairly solid, folds a lot preflop and I don't remember him showing anything down. He has taken down a few pots uncontested on the flop. I think he views me as solid, I have been playing fairly tight and haven't shown down anything stupid.

I'm BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG and 2 others limp, SB completes, I check. $30 pot.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, as do I, UTG bets out $30. Folded to me and I call. $90 pot.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets $30 again, I check-raise to $120. UTG ponders and calls. $330 pot.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $240.

After his turn call I decided that a pair with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] was his most likely hand and figured he'd fold unimproved on the river fearing the flush.

I don't bluff very much in online games because I usually find it easy enough getting paid off when I have a good hand. However, recently when I've found myself in pots with people capable of laying down winners I've been experimenting with trying to push them out.

Any comments on this particular hand or more general advice about when and when not to bluff would be very welcome.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: 3/6 NL hand - 24o bluff

Looks beautiful to me. Looks like villain probably has A 10 with the Ace of diamonds. I think you picked a perfect time to bluff here. Not only must the flush scare him after u check raised the turn, but the river Q is a nightmare card for him because even if you weren't checkraising with flush now he must also think you could have the Q.

The one drawback here is if villain is very tricky and smoothcalled your turn raise with a made flush. In that case, well then Mr. Hand is meeting Mr. Cookie Jar.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 PM

Would a solid player really limp with ATo UTG ?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen stranger things -- but, if not, what about J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? Doesn't seem like enough of a bet on the flop for JJ or for ATo, but it's certainly possible.

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Qx is also a possibility? That being said, however, I like the line. If you've assessed this player to be the type that can lay down a hand, folding equity seems to outweigh the chance that you'll be called.

-DB
Old 01-04-2005, 06:07 PM

I think the $30 bet on the turn is weak. Possibly a weak lead where he bet pot on the flop to try and steal it with Ace high but the turn brought the 3rd diamond and he wants to keep the lead on this hand and see a cheap river.

This would be a good spot to bluff.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 'solid' was the wrong description as I hadn't actually seen any of his hands. He was definitely tight and liked to fold a lot.

And I do see a number of online players limping in EP with crap like ATo, QJo, KTo etc. who play fairly sane poker postflop. So, yes, I did think ATo was a possibility.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 PM

I don't play that high myself so I'm sure you are right about the possibility of ATo, but did you completely rule out a set? I would think 33 and 55 are more likely UTG limping hands for a fairly tight player. I don't see anything in the way he played this hand except possibly the weak turn bet which contradicts this.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you completely rule out a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think a set was a possibility. At the time I thought the way he played the turn was more likely to be a flush draw though. During the hand I felt that one of his more likely hands was AA with a diamond which maybe caused me to push the bluff further than I should have.

Like I say, I don't have a great deal of experience with bluffing so I'm not sure whether or not this was a good spot to try it. Maybe I should back off when the board pairs as well as when the diamond hits?

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Results

UTG pauses and then pushes all in. I elect not to call with the nut low.

I guess either the river filled him up or he'd turned a flush. I suppose it just comes down to how often I think he has the draw compared to a made hand. Looking back I think I was being a little over-optimistic.