Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 PM

Default JJ - a big hole in my game?

I've lost the last five JJs and I start getting in the mood to limp PF with this hand. Nonetheless, I am now forcing myself to play exactly per the SSHE Tight Chart.

But maybe I suck post flop? In my latest tank job, I flopped trips, but turn brought the flush for winner -- yet I stilled called down. Maybe those were loose calls?

I don't mean to dump a ton of hands for detailed review. My intent of posting 5 is to allow you to see if there's a PATTERN to my mistakes. Or maybe I make one new mistake each hand?

HAND #1

<font color="orange">SB on this hand has played competently thru 30 hands or so. No bad starting cards and appears to know how to play the game.</font>

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

HAND #2

<font color="orange"> Winner of this hand was quite passive post-flop and held weak starting hands over 30 hands sample. </font>

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

HAND #3
<font color="orange">Went to call-down on turn raise. Should I have even called the River bet? No reads, really.</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

HAND #4

<font color="orange"> C/R made me passive, but called it down. Should I have dumped? Maybe a RR then dump? </font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.70 BB

HAND #5

<font color="orange"> No reads on this one. Should I have rammed the pot on turn or taken the free river? </font>

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: JJ - a big hole in my game?

First of all I wouldn't worry about losing the last 5 JJs, I played 3,000+ hands and have only been dealt JJ 10 times!

Your hands:

1) You must raise the turn, don't have the fear the flush syndrome just yet, if someone 3 bets you then you just call, you still have 10 outs here! You will improve to a boat about 25% of the time. If you don't get 3 bet then its bet/call at the river. If you do get 3 bet or even capped, you call and check/fold the river unimproved (making the crying call if you must)

2) Play is ok, debatable whether you bet the river, personally I think its HU so I would bet at the river and fold to a raise. If villain wins w/ Ax so be it, put a note on him and hopefully his stack will slowly come to you over time.

3) Sorry this is a horrible hand, when raised at the turn you can probably fold because you only have 2 outs w/ no other draws. Your chances of improving is 5% which is close enough to nil. If you really can't do this bet/fold at the turn, then check/fold the river at least!

4) You can 3 bet the flop w/ overpair and no raise preflop, villain could have A9 or even a flush draw (although you shouldn't be pumping the flush draw to begin w/) Of course, villain could have hit a set, in which case, he will cap the flop. Then it becomes a check/fold at the turn unless you improve. GIVEN you didn't do that, bet out the turn and fold to a raise, the A is a scare card, if raised, you KNOW you're beat and let it go. STOP check/calling to see a river if you think you're beat. (BTW where is the C/R you mentioned?). At the river, rarely if ever call if there is a bettor and caller in front of you (unless you got the nuts then you raise or call if you got 2nd or 3rd nuts).

5) Um this one depends on your reads. But I would bet the turn and fold to a raise.

So in general this is my opinion:

- JJs are hard to play
- JJs are hard to improve at the turn and river
- therefore, keep betting if you think you're ahead, fold to a raise in general. Consider whether you picked up additional draws (straight, flush etc).

Hope this helps

BTW I'm no expert, I suppose guys like ShillX and Entity will tell you if I'm right.