Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Are these bad folds? Two hands.

I'm finding myself doing a lot of Flop and Turn folds lately (or maybe its just that I haven't hit many flops lately).

I'm looking for guidance as to whether I'm being too weak-tight in my folds. In my attempts to implement SSHE, I rarely fold a river to one bet when the pot is all but the smallest. But I'm trying desperately to improve post-flop.

Here are two hands I folded in my recent brief sessions. These aren't "bad beat" folds where I "woulda shoulda." I can deal psychologically with folding A9o pre-flop and watching the flop come A92 just fine. Second guessing pre-flop folds is one problem I don't have.

Instead, these are fairly typical folds of mine with ONE exception: I usually bet out post-flop with two overcards. In neither of these two hands did I do that. I think I've allowed myself to sometimes lapse into the belief these folks with made hands (lately 2 pair) just call my bets down and not even raise to give me the 'information' I'm looking for. Is this alone the hole in my line below or are the folds themselves too weak?

HAND #1

At the time, my only read was that SB was generally passive Post Flop.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 3 BB

HAND #2

Should I have called the flop bet? I felt there were enough bets in the pot is was worth one sb (twice! ugh) to stick around. I didn't have any real reads from bettor on flop as this was one of my first hands at this table, except that he complained about his KK being cracked a couple hands prior.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero folds.

River: (15.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 12-31-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Are these bad folds? Two hands.

Hand 1 I lead out on the flop. You have a gutshot and two overcards and might even have the best hand. Betting the flop would change the rest of the hand I think.

Hand 2 I raise the flop since you have two overcards and a backdoor nut flush draw. You might be able to buy yourself a free card.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:47 PM

Even out of position, I'm raising pre-flop in hand one. They're showing incredible weakness.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 PM

My normal approach in that situation would be to bet out on the flop, but not RR a bettor. Since I posted this, I did this today during more plays. Mixed results, but I'm committed to the math.