Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Oh my god, FullTilt tips from the pros is the worst advice ever.

[ QUOTE ]
Then Danny Nguyen must be the end all be all of tournament advice huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...I busted Danny Nguyen today in the second hour of today's rebuy (Bay 101 $50+$20 R/A). He bet allin to my flopped straight with bottom pair. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 PM

since when is smooth calling refering to limping? doenst that mean just calling a bet?

but anyway, i don't hate the advicee, a bet of 100 into a 300 pot definitely does not always get raised, vs 1 opponent it'll take the pot down a decent amount of the time.

I typically bet more like 1/2 the pot, but 1/3 would work too.

That 2nd peice of advice is retarded, i don't know what the hell he's talking about.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM

I do the "weak lead" too, its just for different reasons. The way he reasons this play just makes no sense. Your reasoning for making a donk bet has to make sense, not just because "you want a cheap draw." Ill sometimes donk bet with a set, sometimes with a draw, sometimes with air- it depends on the opponent. But to just say "you want a cheap draw, so bet the amount that you can draw too for the right price" is absolutely retarded. It's like he completely ignores the fact that your opponent will raise this a reasonable % of the time. And his logic for the implied odds are faulty as I explained in the OP.

I feel like I have been misunderstood a little. Obviously I dont think this is the worst advice ever, its an exagerration. My problems with this advice is:

1) It discounts the probability that your opponent will raise.

2) If you just play draws like this, why not play faceup. This play is very readable.

3) His specific advice is actually impossible to follow. The fact that an email sent out to every single player on fulltilt would not be read to make sure its following the conventions of the rules of poker, is dumb.

4) His advice on tournaments makes no sense. When was the last time you got 6-1 on a draw? Do the rules of pot odds not apply to tournaments?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM

My god, get off your high horse. He obviously knows the right play, and he obviously did not mean this is the best play to do in this scenario everytime. You are having a pussy attack for no reason.

He was confined to audience members of below average skills, probably also confined by the length of his advice too. He suggested this as an ALTERNATE way to play it, probably better than they would play it themselves. They'd push all in everytime and lose horribly most of the time. He can't go onto advanced concepts like bluffing on the turn, reraising all in, etc. His play could also work.

So please get off your high horse. Sorry you're too good for him. Go play him $5000000 heads up. You'll win for sure.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My god, get off your high horse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does proposing that a 'name' pro on FullTilt gives advice according to the rules of poker put me on a high horse?

[ QUOTE ]
He obviously knows the right play, and he obviously did not mean this is the best play to do in this scenario everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]
He made no indication in what spot to make this play, and in fact, he probably suggests it against the wrong player. He says if the player is likely to bet strong on a bluff, then this is the sure way to see a cheap turn card. One thing contradicts the other. If he is likely to make a big C-Bet with air, he is also likely to do the same to a probe bet.

[ QUOTE ]
You are having a pussy attack for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
I very clearly explained my reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
He was confined to audience members of below average skills,

[/ QUOTE ]
So when dealing with bad players, give them bad advice? How about suggesting something creative like check raising? It is way harder on the opponent if he has ace high and you check raise him, rather than if he is facing a probe bet.

[ QUOTE ]
He suggested this as an ALTERNATE way to play it, probably better than they would play it themselves. They'd push all in everytime and lose horribly most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who is "they" and who says "they" are pushing all in? I don't fully understand this sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
Go play him $5000000 heads up. You'll win for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it with people and just saying "well if you think he's wrong play him heads up." WTF is that? I guess you arent allowed to critisize people who are better than you, because their word is gospel.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 PM

I'll have to add a link to this to my guide.

The whole attitude is strange. You are in the BB against a limper. Why assume the limper has something? The article is about getting to make your draw cheaply. It's like you are making this limper an authority figure and giving him credit for an overpair.

Your are probably either a slight favorite or a slight dog. If you are ahead with jack high, you are a big favorite.

This is a hand that can be played aggressively. I would probably lead out with a 3/4 pot bet or checkraise. You could also check/call.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 AM

Maybe I'm a donk because I like his tips, if I got that flush draw I would also lead out in the big blind.

I agree with his draws early in a tournament strategy, ( he meant online not like the main event or something)

I can't tell you how many times I chase a draw early with the " right odds" and find myself 2/3 of the time with half my stack gone needing to double up just to get back to even.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:29 AM

* Leading out is fine, but should be a real bet, not 1/3 or less. (Well not 'should' but i think a bigger lead out is better)

* If chasing the draw costs you half your stack, clearly it's not worth it, you hav eto pick your spots and know which draws are worth chasing. And it doesnt require 6:1 odds.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell you how many times I chase a draw early with the " right odds" and find myself 2/3 of the time with half my stack gone needing to double up just to get back to even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are doing something wrong. Describe the hand. If you are getting the correct odds, but it costs a significant portion of your stack, a semi bluff might be in order... I havent ever called down getting 3-1 on every street, and found myself crippled at the end of the hand when i miss, so I really don't know what you mean.