30-35 3 23.08%
25-30 3 23.08%
20-25 0 0%
<20 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Yet another Poll: Blinds

[ QUOTE ]
Nearly half of the hands we play are out of the blinds, so a large portion of our overall results is determined by our results in these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunh? I play ~20% - 25% of my hands from the blinds. Is this meant to be a 6-max poll? Should be in HUSH if so.

Mine at ring games are:

BB (0.23)
SB (0.14)

EDIT: Fixed messed-up quote. Changed "full-handed" to "ring" since my stats certainly include play on 9 or 8 handed tables.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Interesting post, and mabye it can be developed to become one indicator of whether a player is running good or bad.

I've got a loss of .16BB per hand in both the BB and SB in my party database, where I have been achieving a rather mediocre win rate of a little over 2BB/HR. I only say mediocre because with similar games at a lower limit, and 4x the sample size (25,000 hands) I was acheiving over 6BB/hr. Looking at the blind stats there show that I did considerably better. -.12 in the BB, and -.06 in the small blind.

As far as playing half of my hands from the blinds it's not there for me, but I have been playing a bit tighter than recommended. My Saw Flop All Hands is 23.58%, and my Saw Flop Not a Blind is 15.81%. My Saw Flop From the Blinds would be 7.77%, right about 1/3rd of the hands I play.

When I say "play", I mean "see the flop with", not "dealt cards".

Even so, 1/3rd of all hands that I see the flop with is from a blind is a bit staggering. I had never considered this before, although it is a bit obvious.

Very interesting.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I say "play", I mean "see the flop with", not "dealt cards".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh - I almost certainly misunderstood the OP. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....mabye it can be developed to become one indicator of whether a player is running good or bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, this is why I wanted to look at it, 'cause either the blinds are killing me (they are) or I suck real bad (ok, this could be true anyway....).

[ QUOTE ]
As far as playing half of my hands from the blinds it's not there for me, but I have been playing a bit tighter than recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was guesstimating. I didn't look at actual numbers for this. If you go by SSH recommendations, in UNRAISED pots, more than half the hands you SF with would be in the blinds. If you go by MM's play 15% of your hands outside the blinds rule, SF ~30% of your SB's and ~60% of your BB's, that would be about 43%. However, looking at my actual numbers at $1/2, it's only about 33%.

[ QUOTE ]
My Saw Flop All Hands is 23.58%, and my Saw Flop Not a Blind is 15.81%. My Saw Flop From the Blinds would be 7.77%, right about 1/3rd of the hands I play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your numbers are very close to mine.

BTW, I'm a pretty sloppy calculator, even when I try. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
So it wouldn't hurt if someone checks my work.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are breaking even in the BB after 10,000 hands-- that's amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really that amazing. 10,000 hands is nothing when you consider that only 10% of them are from the blind in question. Even if you play 80% of them. Think about it, it's like assessing your win rate after 1000 hands. How accurate is it going to be?

You need a lot more numbers for this to mean anything at all.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need a lot more numbers for this to mean anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say samples representing about 1 million total hands (about 100,000 in each blind) would give a pretty good estimate. At the moment we have 37 points, representing an average of maybe (guessing again) 10,000 hands per point, about 1000 played in each blind-- a total of 370,000 hands or 37,000 hands played in each blind. Starting to get interesting, but not enough to get a great estimate of the mean.

But there are other problems.... I made the range of choices too narrow, especially for the big blind. Also, the data points don't represent fixed sample sizes-- in fact the sample sizes are random with unknown distribution! There may be ways of handling these things, but I'm no expert.

In any case, I'm just happy that there does appear to be some sort of hump-shaped distribution. Also, it seems pretty definite that there is more variance in the big blind than in the small blind. These qualitative observations may not be as satisfying as accurate numbers would be, but I think they're quite meaningful. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 08:57 PM

I'm at -.12 for the SB and -.09 for the BB.

I rock.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:14 AM

only 7K hands since I started playing $3-6.

SB -0.15
BB -0.20

Also, the results for a $3-6 structure will be different than say $2-4.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 AM

BB (-0.27)
SB (+0.06)?? 30 VPIP here
Old 01-28-2005, 12:45 AM

I suck!

BB: -0.16
SB: -0.31

My VP$IP from SB was low (23ish), so I started adding hands to the list (Axo, more suited hands), and it has definitely not paid off. (I'm now at 26ish for the VP$IP)