Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Possibly my worst played hand ever. Confessional + advice

Oh man, this one was bad. Win or lose, this was an a hand that was absolutely just a mess. Posting because exposure of my play is self-inflicted punishment for playing this wrong.

To explain part of my mind-set, I went into call-down mode earlier in the day on another table thinking I *might* be beaten, but refusing to fold AQo with A on board and won a decent pot. I've also been trying to implement the "don't fold in big pots" advice.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG <font color="#A500AF">(LAA in 30 hands)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO <font color="#A500AF">(Unknown)</font> caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Absolute LPP)</font> calls, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(LAA in 30 hands)</font> calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">The story so far: LAA has been raising pre-flop with weak hands (any ace, high suited, etc.) So rather than fold AJo to a pre-flop raise, I thought I'd isolate with a raise. So far, I'm pleased with my play.

Then, Unknown (only 2 hands on the table at that point, hadn't played any) caps which surprised me. LPP calling cap cold was no surprise. He's on my buddy list as a guy with a high VP$IP.
</font>

Flop: (16.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Absolute LPP checks, LAA in 30 hands checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown bets</font>, Absolute LPP calls, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Surely my first mistake. I shoulda bet out having hit TPGK. I mightaa called 1 raise after that or folded when bet to on turn because of 3 flush.</font>

Turn: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown raises</font>, Absolute LPP calls, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">LPP betting out was a real surprise. He plays quite passive post-flop, so this shook me a bit. I didn't take the time to put him on a hand. I call because the pot is big, but I'm uneasy. After unknown's raise I was lost and I went into "pot too big to fold with TPGK mode." Question: My hunch is that I shoulda raised LPP with the intent to fold to any RR.</font>

River: (18.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Unknown raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Absolute LPP 3-bets</font>, LAA in 30 hands calls, Hero calls, Unknown calls.

<font color="blue">So I only call with 2 pair because I think I'm behind -- but I just refuse to fold two pair, despite the board having flush and str8 possibilities. so then I see two more bets to me, and I just COULDN'T bail with such a big pot! </font>

Final Pot: 30.25 BB

At showdown, I was totally confused and unhappy with my play win or lose.

Advice? Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Possibly my worst played hand ever. Confessional + advice

Apart from reads, I fold PF. But you had some reads and made a fine play. But got busted. Easy call after that.

When it's checked to you on the flop, bet out so that the CO can raise behind and knock out some of these other guys- 16:1 is an easy call, but 8:1 less so. If you get reraised, call and then check fold on turn if the situation warrants.

On the turn, although you're getting 11:1, you have to think that it may be raised behind you and maybe even reraised or capped. Action from a passive player is bad news. It have been easier to let it go here if you had been reraised on the flop.

That J is almost a bad card for you. Lose to a set?

J