Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: What\'s My Line?

[ QUOTE ]
5-5 NLH, 500 max buy, with a $10 live straddle. You have 99 at UTG +2. You raise to $35. MP LAG calls, blinds go away, straddler makes it $135. The LAG plays a ton of hands and calls quite a bit. The straddler is an experienced amateur, not a dope. Two questions:
first, what's your play? And somewhat more specifically, does the LAG's call weaken or strengthen your position?

As the cards are dealt, LAG has 550 in his stack, straddler has 525, and you have them both covered.

-Howard Treesong

p.s. I have my own (strong) views about this hand, but am in a debate with a buddy of mine, which is why I'm soliciting views.

p.p.s. The Bike was hopping last night. The powers that be were giving out autographed basketballs as part of the Buss charity tournament, and the sight of Men the Master dribbling a basketball around the lobby was not to be missed. I will note that he refused my challenge to play him one-on-one.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we discussed, you didn't call the MP player a LAG, but rather, a "total calling station"...with him being a LAG, money is probably not deep enough to play the 99, because the range of straddler's hands is tighter...if the MP is a passive calling station, straddler's raise has a much better chance of being a big ace, looking to isolate the calling station with a smaller ace or big king. With MP as a LAG, more chance that the straddle woke up with a pair bigger than 99 here, putting you in a world of hurt if you call...