Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Hellmuth\'s Bust and other ESPN Action

Man, the guy is a clown. I swear he can't possibly be that stupid, and figure hes showboating for the cameras, but I realize he's been doing it for years. He is more professional wrestler bad guy than real person.

I make my way to the Rio about midight, during the break before level 7. I see a few names walking in, walk past Dan Harrington's table and take a seat in the bleachers at the ESPN featured table. Hellmuth and Quack Quack are there, and a bunch of players I didn't recognize. First hands I see, Hellmuth raises, gets reraised (or pushed on), and folds AK face up both times. Two hands in a row. After the each hand, he proceeds to tell the table how hes the greatest player of all time, and how he is going to fold AK.

A player goes all in with 99 (who was very short), and is called by JTs. Flop comes AKQ. Turn 9 and the crowd cheers. River is Q, and the crowd erupts! So 3 hands later, at Phil's SB, the button raises, Phil reraises. The button goes all in pretty fast for about 15k, and Hellmuth instantly calls and proudly shows AK. The button shows KJo for the Bill Fillmaff special. Flop is rags, turn is a rag. I yell out a loud "JACK!!!" and the dealer answers my request with a rivered jack. A few people cheer, but not as many as I would expect. Hellmuth then decides to go crazy and talks to anyone who will listen. He sits out about 15 hands, pointing to the TV monitor, walks around the room, talks to people in the crowd, cameraman. He then berates the player who pushed KJ a little more, and eventually makes it back to the table. A few hands after that, Hellmuth raises on the button. Quack Quack reraises, Hellmuth pushes (I think this is the action, its pretty hard to tell from the bleachers). Money gets all in, Quack Quack has 7s, and Phil has AQ. Board is no help, and Hellmuth is sent packing. I didn't see any tears this year, though.

Remember, Donkeys alwasy draw.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth\'s Bust and other ESPN Action

Well, one of the AK laydowns, the board was like AA4 and somehow Phil put the guy on a boat and laid down his AK. Turns out the guy had a boat. Should be interesting to see on ESPN.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:49 AM

ace king is not the amazing bullet-proof hand that you donks seem to think it is. hellmuth probably put the guy on a pocket pair and did not wanna flip coins. hellmuth likes to play post-flop poker, not the wpt all in preflop poker that is becoming so popular. kind of ironic since he lost all in preflop holding AQ, but you get the point.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:01 AM

i like that play.. show the table you are very willing to lay down AK a few times, then when you reraise it and a guy moves in on you, call in a flash and beat his KJ. seems like a good plan, but the guy sucked out.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hellmuth likes to play post-flop poker, not the wpt all in preflop poker that is becoming so popular. kind of ironic since he lost all in preflop holding AQ, but you get the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I suspect he was tilting with that AQ + Magriel often raises with junk hands.

Poor Phil doesn't seem to be having a good run in the past few years.

Maybe he needs to change medication?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, one of the AK laydowns, the board was like AA4 and somehow Phil put the guy on a boat and laid down his AK. Turns out the guy had a boat. Should be interesting to see on ESPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo' real??

Does anyone have the details on this hand? Did his opponent show the boat?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo' real??

Does anyone have the details on this hand? Did his opponent show the boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Cardplayer:

Date / Time: 2005-07-09 00:38:00
Title: Phil Hellmuth Dodges a Bullet
Log: After a hand at the featured table, Phil Hellmuth jumped out of his chair and pointed at his wife in the stands.

"Honey! Honey! That was the hand! I should have gone broke on the hand!"

He then described how he had A-K, the flop came out A-A-4, and restated that he should have gone broke.

"Except you forgot one thing -- I can dodge bullets, baby. I knew he had a full house!"

Expect to see this hand (and the exchange with his wife) on ESPN.

No mention of whether the boat was exposed, or any confirmation that the op indeed had a boat.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what's so sad about PH in my view...assuming the facts are right on this hand, it's a fantastic read and a laydown that almost nobody can make.

He really is one of the best in terms of skill (at least when not steaming), but by constantly chirping about being "the best", combined with his childish jopking habits, he's managed to turn himself into a caricature when he should be one of the most respected guys around, if it was more closely tied to his actual skill.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:57 AM

From Cardplayer's commentary section:

[ QUOTE ]
Then, a short while later, he had another player all in with K-J for $17,000, and Hellmuth had him dominated with A-K. Sure enough, the other player sucked out on him by catching a jack on the river, and now it was Hellmuth who was left with only about $17,000 in chips. He told his wife about this hand as well, but you could tell he was trying to mask his true feelings.

But he couldn't hold it in for long. The bad beat had clearly gotten under his skin, and he went over to his wife to vent a bit, saying things like, "Some of these guys can't even spell the game. It's P-O-K-E-R."

[/ QUOTE ]

Future Fillmaff bit in the making?

Kevin...
Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ace king is not the amazing bullet-proof hand that you donks seem to think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see any "donks" in this thread calling ak "bulletproof". Get off your soapbox.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]