Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Default How bad is this weak play of AA against unknown?

This is cutoffs very first hand at the table.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

I'm almost certainly ahead here. Only 2 callers of a preflop raise says to me that a 5 is unlikely.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Ok, both called my bet on the flop. That could mean trips with a kicker they are worried about, could mean overcards, or even something like A7.
Small blind checks and the CO bets into me? I have no idea if this guy is aggressive, passive, tight, loose, etc...it's his first hand! and he's betting into me with a paired board! I want so badly to raise here with an overpair to "see where I stand" (would this be the correct move??) but I am shakin in my shoes.
River: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Now, for no reason, I make a play that totally contradicts my turn play. I raise, even though he bet into me again and I'm still beat if he has trips or something like eights full.

Final Pot: 11 BB

So how bad was that??
Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: How bad is this weak play of AA against unknown?

Pop it on the turn to see if he has trips or the straight. River is fine given how you played it. Everything else seems standard.

What are your reads on SB? I wouldn't be scared of him having trips. I think CO is the one you have to worry about having trips, but considering he didn't raise the I don't believe it. He could be trying the slowplay, but you can't go around fearing trips everytime the board pairs. A lot of times, the board pairing is one of the best things that can happen; it ensures that 2 pair won't crack your overpair.

Don't be so scared of the board everytime it pairs, especially not at your limit. Raising the turn is correct. Fearing trips is weak-tight when CO has given you no indication of having trips.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM

I raise the turn here, your preflop raise eliminates the possibility of a str8 (hopefully), and I think he just his 8 with something like A8 or K8 and I think hes putting you on overplaying AK or something similar. Extra bet the turn to test your hand, call through if he reraises here, but he wont...
CDL
Old 08-02-2005, 02:21 PM

Small blind sees 50% of flops and is very very passive. He could have been calling with anything, both before and on the flop. His check on the turn didn't seem to me like one of those "check the flop then bet the turn" plays that these guys seem to love doing with trips. I kind of took for granted that he was going to fold on the turn. If he hadn't, I would have had more problems to deal with.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Well he posted out of position so he very may well be calling your raise with anything since it is only one more bet to him -- I see this all the time. But that being said, I think you have to raise the turn here -- any range of hands is likely for CO, 7x, 8x, etc.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:24 PM

I agree with your thoughts when you bet the flop. Both SB and CO were unlikely to have trips, when they checked to you. (I also dont think that anyone who has trips is very often worried about their kicker.)

When CO bets the turn, he may have put you on overcards, such as AK,AQ,KQ etc. and he may have just made top pair.

I wouldnt have waited until a blank fell on the river to raise CO. I would have raised him on the turn.

Then if CO checked to you on the river, I would have bet again. If however, CO made a strange bet into you on the river, I would have called.

Your raise on the turn should have been for value, because you probably still had the best hand. If CO had 3-bet the turn, (which may have suggested that he had a hand like 88) then it would have been reasonable for you to call down. (It would not have been safe to assume that you were beaten with no reads.)
Old 08-02-2005, 02:26 PM

EEECCCHHHOOOO
Old 08-02-2005, 02:33 PM

I raise the turn donkbet every time.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:35 PM

define donkbet?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Most 0.05/0.10 are loose passives with one favorite move: check-raise the turn when you make trips/sets or above. At the same time though, it looks like you're trying to bully here and if he's even a moderately thinking player he may be testing that. I'd say you're probably beat most of the time here, but given the positions and the way it was played he is probably bluffing (or may have a mid-pair he thinks is good) enough of the time to make it okay to call down. The information you'll gain from the showdown will be useful either way.

If you are going to raise though definitely go for it on the turn. If he 3-bets you then let it go and give him the benifit of the doubt for now and keep an eye on him. The way you played it doesn't give you much information (until he just calls on the end). Your raise on the end now seems to be random.