Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Beta Blockers

I couldn't find anything covering this with a search, but I was curious to know if any poker pros have ever discussed the use of beta blockers. I've read that some professional golfers use them to calm their nerves. It would seem logical that some poker pros might see an advantage in using them also.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Beta Blockers

I've used them for auditions before and hated them. They dulled my senses and my thinking wasn't as sharp. Those downsides aren't as big a deal playing an instrument but as logic and reasoning are so important in poker, I wouldn't dream of using them to play cards.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 AM

Beta blockers are serious medications used for high blood pressure. They haave a variety of side effects including the exacerbation of asthma as the beta-adrenergic receptors (why they're called beta blockers) have a fairly high density in the lungs and asthmatics are particularly sensitive to the depression of their respiratory function.

This drug class has some depressant effects and like many depressants has deleterious effects on memory.

I would suggest avoiding drugs like this to calm your nerves due to their serious systemic side effects.

You're much better off with alcohol or, better yet, benzodiazapines like diazapam (Valium).

Better yet, just play poker until flopping a set or even flopping quads doesn't really change your mood that much.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 AM

I believe Paul Philips uses adderall, somebody correct me if I've slandered him.

Those who've used it say its very helpful for concentration and focus, and that poker-wise they feel like it helps them play at their A-game past a point where fatigue might ordinarily start affect them.

--Zetack
Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe Paul Philips uses adderall, somebody correct me if I've slandered him.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to comment paul?? ahem.
he did post about some medication he was on a while back but it wasn't adderall.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Adderal is used to treat ADHD.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

care to comment paul?? ahem.
he did post about some medication he was on a while back but it wasn't adderall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this is a direct quote from a Paul Phillips article:

[ QUOTE ]

With Adderall in my system, I am like an information sponge, able to process data from several players at once while considering my next action. It also improved my patience. I can't count how many chips I used to squander playing hands out of boredom. Now, I have no problem folding as many (or as few) as the game conditions require.

This year, I have a new chemical weapon: Modafinil. Like Adderall, it stimulates wakefulness and enhances focus but without the annoying side effects of an amphetamine—for me, reduced appetite and insomnia. Drugs are not a substitute for healthy living habits, but the WSOP isn't a spa. With Modafinil, I feel well-rested even on limited sleep, and during a weeklong tournament it's pretty much impossible to sleep properly. Through judicious use of both I can operate at my full potential for days on end. And if I ever see a chip lead again maybe I can hang onto it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky

--Zetack
Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're much better off with alcohol or, better yet, benzodiazapines like diazapam (Valium).

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Yep, no unwanted side effects with benzos! Great for poker. <<Yawn>>
Old 12-01-2005, 11:30 AM

Aderall is an excellent drug if you are needing to concentrate for extended periods of time. I am not a physician so I am not going to make any claims as to what the drug actually does, but it is prescribed to some of my friends with ADD (they dont have ADHD, there is a difference). For my final exams in college I used to take one and not only did it make ME more alert (i empahsize me b/c some of my other friends said they felt no effect) , but it also allowed me to stay up for unusual lengths of time with out ever feeling tired.

*Disclaimer* These are personal experiences, not advice.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
, but it is prescribed to some of my friends with ADD (they dont have ADHD, there is a difference).

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the difference?