Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Bankroll requiremts for different limits

Help! Want to know what 10/20 or 5/10 stud8 would require for bankroll - also feel free to elaborate on stud high requirements as this well help the community. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Bankroll requiremts for different limits

300 big bets seems to be the industry standard these days. So, $6000 or $3000.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM

I think sklansky wrote an article about split pot games where he went over the bankroll requirement and it was very much less than, say, holdem. Like 100 big bets or so and he used stud8 as an example.

Not sure about the above but sure he claimed a good/great player would win 90%+ of his sessions since basically you're freerolling for your profit and breaking even on the rest.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think sklansky wrote an article about split pot games where he went over the bankroll requirement and it was very much less than, say, holdem. Like 100 big bets or so and he used stud8 as an example.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he was talking about stud hi/lo no qualifier but I may be wrong. In any case I agree with the idea that you will need less of a bankroll to play split pot games than you would to play limit hold 'em. Probably you'd need 300 to play straight stud high though.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM

im pretty sure he was talking about no qualifier (which seems to have made a comeback in the big game), at least if he said you could win 90%. you do probablly need less but i would still want 200 bets or so. of course if you are not playing for a living and can replenish your bankroll and going broke is no disaster then 100 is prob plenty.
matty
Old 12-08-2005, 10:02 AM

What are the mechanisms that make split poker contain less variance ?? (Assuming you are not a losing player of course)
Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 AM

If you play well, you will get at least half of many pots you participate in...sometimes you will back into half a pot, etc. You won't get middled that often bc you don't put yourself in those spots. Also, winning requires v. tight play which reduces variance.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Beginners luck

Inspired by this thread I quickly skimmed Todd's chapter in SSII ... and sat down at the 1/2$ tables ... after an hour of play I'm up 110$

This is mad ... crazy ... never tryed anything like it before ... Is Stud/8 always like this ?? (Shaking my head in disbelief)
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Beginners luck

OK .. I hit a nice rush on my first visit to the game .. now I've been playing for three more hours, and stud/8 has reverted to plain simple poker as we know .. a lot of foldning .. winning some, losing some ... and so forth .. showed a tiny profit to add on to my early rush, so after trying this game, I can see how you easily could get severely addicted

Are these games usually soft with people chasing a lot or was I just lucky for a while there ??

Must admit though ... the game makes one good first impression !! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Beginners luck

[ QUOTE ]
Are these games usually soft with people chasing a lot or was I just lucky for a while there ??

[/ QUOTE ]
Especiially at lower limits you can count on soft games with a lot of limpers & chasers. Play only lows and the strongest highs and you should beat it easily. And yes this game is addictive.