Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Stupid Names

[ QUOTE ]
My mother is a school teacher, and she is always telling me about kids she has with strange names. There was this one girl in her class that the kids called "Iwilla". This is a strange name, but she later found out that the girl's name on her birth certificate was "IwillriseandshineforJesusChrist Jones". Who would do this? Does anybody else out there know somebody whose parents subjected them to a lifetime of mockery because of a dumb name?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sort of name goes back to the Puritan era. There was the "Barebones" parliament named after one of its members: Praise-God-from-Whom-All-Blessings-Flow Barebones.

Personally I think Huck Seed and his brothers have pretty funny names. Years ago when I worked in a library, a family of children would come in for picture books: Jonathan, Baldwin, McIntosh, and Snow Apple.

Today children's names are so, um, individual that you only get teased on the playground if your name is Jane or Tom.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This kid I work with is named Shawn (or Shaun, not sure) Vancourt. But for some reason I thought his last name was Vachon. And I started thinking how awesome of a name that would be. Shawn Vachon. I wish my last name was Vachon so I could name my kid Shawn.

Shawn Vachon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew a kid in school name Larry Carrey. Always thought that was funny.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 PM

I once voted for a man named Dick Small.

Much better, my step-father once knew a family whose last name was Trout. The children were named Brook, Golden, and Rainbow.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM

My aunt teaches kindergarten

This year, she has a child who is a black small person (midget) and his name is Sincere.

No lie.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM

I finally found the Onion Most Popular Baby Names again
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 PM

True story. My aunt is a kindergarten teacher in an inner-city school. She once had a child in her class named Ethessalonians Quintet Pettaway. Naturally, when time came to teach the kids how to write their names, she thought no way is this little kid gonna be able to learn that big name. So she calls the kid's Mom, and asks if he has a nickname that he could learn to write, for now. Response - "Oh, sure, 'round here we just calls him Cool J!" So the kid learned to write Cool J.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From the book Freakonomics

[censored] (Pronounced Shih-theed) Johnson
Twins named OrangeJello and LemonJello

There were more, but I don't have the book in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are urban legends. See snopes.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

And here's a link, you gullible fvcks.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, the author does identify Orangejello and lemonjello as having not been verified by social securty data, but also says that he learned of the names firsthand from "Doug McAdams, a socialogist at Standford University, who swears he met the twin boys at a grocery store" (i'm looking at the book). Anyway, do the boys exist? Probably.

Shih-theed? That one may be fake; the source is someone who called into a radio show complaining about the name given to her new baby neice.

Gullible [censored]? I take offense to that. What's the need for the condescension? The link doesn't even say the names are fake.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, the author does identify Orangejello and lemonjello as having not been verified by social securty data, but also says that he learned of the names firsthand from "Doug McAdams, a socialogist at Standford University, who swears he met the twin boys at a grocery store" (i'm looking at the book). Anyway, do the boys exist? Probably.

Shih-theed? That one may be fake; the source is someone who called into a radio show complaining about the name given to her new baby neice.

Gullible [censored]? I take offense to that. What's the need for the condescension? The link doesn't even say the names are fake.

[/ QUOTE ]

"But because the story fits in with what's already believed about the shortcomings of whichever group the mother is supposedly part of, the tale will be re-told and believed anew."
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 PM

My wife used to work at a daycare. One day she came home and explained to me they had a new girl in that day. Her name was $hithead (pronounced shi-THEED). Seriously, who the hell names their kid that?