Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Default A dual monarchy? (per Jesse Ventura)

So I was watching Jesse "The Mind/Body" on Donnie Doeche the other night and Jesse made an interesting comment (one of many actually).

Jesse pointed out that for the last 18 years we've only had two names in the White House: Bush and Clinton. If Hilary gets elected, it will be 24 years with the same two names. This is essentially a dual monarchy.

I'm not sure if having two names for the last umpteen years reflects on the quality of presidential candidates, on how much money it takes to run, on America's political system, or says something about the voters. What do you 'uns think?

Oh, and Jesse currently looks like a pirate:
Old 10-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: A dual monarchy? (per Jesse Ventura)

[ QUOTE ]
What do you 'uns think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, my roommates and I use you 'uns to make fun of our hickass fellow hoosiers.

You 'uns wanna go fishin?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Only candidates who get the elitist seal of approval get the cash to run in the primaries and don't have too many skeletons dug up by the media. Therefore, it doesn't matter who wins, what party they are in or what their name is.

In other words, the white house is continually occupied by an puppets of an oligarchy.

Discuss.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was watching Jesse "The Mind/Body" on Donnie Doeche the other night and Jesse made an interesting comment (one of many actually).

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it, too. One thing that struck me was when Donnie D. was telling Jesse that he didn't think people would vote for a candidate who looked like that. Ventura said he modeled the look after Captain Jack Sparrow, as portrayed by Johnny Depp.

Ventura said that since that was such a popular character in a hit movie, he didn't understand what was wrong with the look. I found that logic quite amazing. Mike Myers and Jason Vorhees were characters in hit movies. If a Governor or Presidential Candidate dressed like them, would it go over? I doubt it.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM

I used to work with Jesse - (at talk radio AM 1500 KSTP before he became governor)

no, that is NOT an act - he is always on...

the man didn't have any political sense in him, which I think made him one of the most effective governors we've had - he didn't play politics and that's why he gets so much of the young vote.

Good guy, but he was thin skinned at KSTP.

RB
Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good guy, but he was thin skinned at KSTP.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is certainly the way he came off on CNBC the other night. It is apparent that he doesn't take criticism well.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 AM

he caught some guff for calling a State Representative (Myron Orfield) a Communist -

the station rolled over because there's precedent for lawsuits in a spot like that - so we have a mandatory meeting of all staff about what is and isn't allowed to say -

the manager at one point just sorta let loose on all the on-air staff - saying that for the profession they were in (talk show hosts) - they were the most thin skinned creatures you'd ever seen.

Also at this meeting at the time was Air America co-host (now former co-host) Katherine Lanpher - I worked her show the first few weeks it was on when she was at KSTP.

Jesse went on the air the next morning and just complained that he didn't know what to say on his radio show - that it was so vague/unclear he didn't feel he could talk about anything on his show cause he didn't know what was gonna get him in trouble.

very thin skinned - it's his biggest failing - it implies a lack of confidence.

RB
Old 10-12-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesse went on the air the next morning and just complained that he didn't know what to say on his radio show - that it was so vague/unclear he didn't feel he could talk about anything on his show cause he didn't know what was gonna get him in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible he was being sarcastic?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM

half and half -

RB
Old 10-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you do over at KSTP. Despite its conservative leanings, it is one of my favorite stations.