Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:45 PM

Default A8s preflop pumping

Another post about an A8s hand reminded me of this one.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (18 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: A8s preflop pumping

Not sure about capping with that hand but maybe you had reads. I was in the SB the other day with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I 3bet the button who has a steal rate of 5/10. The flop was 668, the turn gave me the A.

After that hand he kept calling me a donkey for busting his JJ. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about capping with that hand but maybe you had reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think the 3-bettor was a bit TAGgy; however, my reasoning for the initial raise stands for the cap - value. At this point, everybody is committed, and 3 more small bets helps me out with this decent multiway hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:06 PM

I like the first raise, but capping with a hand that is dominated a large portion of the times sucks hard.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:11 PM

I would not cap against one player, but I think that capping against 3 players has a bit of EV, even if one player may have you dominated.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:15 PM

I would have no problems capping if the flop was going to be 6-handed, but not sure what I'd do 5-handed. Once MP1 folds though, I hate a cap. I'm also much more likely to pull this move with JTs.

Scott
Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not cap against one player, but I think that capping against 3 players has a bit of EV, even if one player may have you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely not. A8s when you figure to be dominated, and have less than 6 or 7 players going to the flop, is looking to make value off implied odds on the flush or hitting trip 8's. The more bets you are putting in pre-flop, the more difficult you are making it to break even off the post-flop implied odds.

Against 3 players this is a major spew imo.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your input. It makes sense.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:46 PM

i dont like this cap at all, you only have 3 other opponents and are likely dominated.