Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Dead Kings on 3rd...

$0.50 ante, $1 bring-in, $3/$6

I am dealt (Q K)K. 7d to my right brings it in, I am looking at J,7,8,K,Q,K. Should I call, raise, or fold?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Dead Kings on 3rd...

I like you position here as a raise can put presure on the other hands. Your kings are dead and one of your queens is too. But, your king is the high card on board. I would be very careful of any callers that catch an ace on later streets though.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 AM

Fold. The 3/6 games are very loose on party (which is where i am assuming you are playing) and you will need a better hand than Kings at the end. the fact that the kings are dead makes the hand dead. You wont get respect for a pair of kings so you will get called. It isnt worth the risk since if you are called you will probably be beat.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 AM

Raise!!!!!! Why would you consider calling or folding?

-Dimitri
Old 08-12-2004, 02:54 AM

You have a completly dead hand in what I would assume (since its 3-6 online) is a loose game. With this in mind the correct play is to fold. Seems like very few players are capable of doing so. Realize even though you may have the best hand if you are called by so much as.....well anything, strait draw, pair, three-flush, your in deep trouble.

Mike Emery
Old 08-12-2004, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like you position here as a raise can put presure on the other hands. Your kings are dead and one of your queens is too. But, your king is the high card on board. I would be very careful of any callers that catch an ace on later streets though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot see why you would be any more worried than usual about Aces as live Kings would have to make trips against them to even be comfortable. Unless of course you are referring to the liveness of the Aces.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM

exactly, none of the aces are accounted for in this hand making it that much more likely someone is calling with one hidden.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:53 AM

In the kind of game you are probably in - loose/passive Party - I would be inclined to fold as you'll have many callers into a marginal hand, i.e. the Horse Race situation described in the Loose Games section of 7csfap.

If the game is playing differently than this - i.e. tighter - I'd raise even with the dead cards. You're in good position and if you can get it heads up or that plus a draw, you could still win with Kings; you could hit your Queen or draw a pair on board; or catch scare cards that will win it before you on showdown as long as you stay aggressive.

Calling is not a viable option. It's play fast or don't play at all.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 PM

If, by completing, you can expect one or two callers, make it $3. If you expect a bunch of callers, fold. You will need to improve in order to beat multiple opponents, and your hand is dead.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$0.50 ante, $1 bring-in, $3/$6

I am dealt (Q K)K. 7d to my right brings it in, I am looking at J,7,8,K,Q,K. Should I call, raise, or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

your likely to get played with thats for sure.

Suitedness counts as well here. Your first to act with no aces in the mix so I'll say open raise and fire again on the small bet streets. Unless some one catches great. Try to get it heads up against a smaller pair and hope the catches are good to you.

They will likely put you on a buried pair so if you hit a Q, a small pair or two pair will likely still come. If you hit any big live card Id say semibluff if it suits your image at the time.

Ome more thing if it turns Bad *I* wouldnt hesitate to dump it.

just my few cents

timmer