Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Limit Tourney

Last night I played in a limit tourney and busted out about 20 minutes after this hand a little outside of the money. I think if it was NL I could have shaken the villian out pre-flop, but I'm not sure. Any other way to play this hand?

To rub salt in the wound the villian heckled me endlessly for calling his check-raise on the flop, and his bet on the turn. Ugh...

Intertops Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t150 (10 handed) converter

SB (t3160)
Hero (t2476)
UTG (t4755)
UTG+1 (t1500)
UTG+2 (t2065)
MP1 (t138)
MP2 (t5350)
MP3 (t4090)
CO (t4650)
Button (t100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB, t900) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6 BB, t1800) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8 BB, t2400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB (t3000)

Results:
SB has Tc Ks (flush, ace high).
Hero has As Kd (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: SB wins 10 BB (t3000). </font>
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Limit Tourney

You have to three bet the flop and/or raise the turn. If you then get reraised at either point, probably have to call down, but a combo hand (pair + club) is more likely than a flopped flush, especially given that the A and K are both on the board.

Can't imagine he goes away though.

Edit: You really should have bet the flop too.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Raise flop.

Raise turn.

Don't play so passive.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:13 PM

Checking this flop is really bad. With only one player still to act, there is way too much risk of this checking around and giving a free card on this board is potentially a disaster for your hand. Not only do you have to worry about a club, but also there are broadway gutshots for JT/QT/QJ. Having checked, you need to three-bet the flop and having failed to do that, you need to raise the turn. Your hand is fairly strong at this point, but is extremely vulnerable and you really need to be willing to invest an extra bet to protect it. If someone has a big club, they aren't going away, but you still benefit from charging them through the nose to try to draw out on you.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise flop.

Raise turn.

Don't play so passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely and thats coming from someone who can play pretty passive. This is one of those limit hands where your gonna lose alot of $$

Happens.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments, those make sense.

I suppose if I bet the flop, with the intent of re-raising a raise from the small blind, then I get a much better read on what his hand is like. Also, I put the onus on him to try and guess that I don't have the flush myself.

Either way I probably push him off the hand or pin him on a flush and fold, and then I don't lose as many chips as I ultimately did in the hand.

Guess it was a good learning experience, thank you again.