Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Does this make sense?

I have been trying to make some moves outside of the really predictable tight game I usually play. Is there any room for this? 180 person SNG

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t3180)
SB (t2620)
BB (t1135)
Hero (t3085)
UTG+1 (t1440)
MP1 (t1775)
MP2 (t890)
MP3 (t2685)
CO (t3945)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls t100, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3085</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t1275 (All-In).
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Does this make sense?

Any read on MP1 and what he is raising with here?

Not the hand he turned over, but what you put him on prior to pushing all-in. Did you think he was holding overs? A pair? No clue?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:47 AM

I think he is basically never folding here. I personally would just fold, or call and push a favorable flop.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM

HIs 5x BB raise makes me think that either

1. He is trying to fold the blinds and the limpers, or
2. He has AK AQ 99-JJ and really isnt looking for action.

I thought maybe faced with a limp/re-raise all in, he could fold these hands. If he calls and I lose, I still have 13BB and can continue.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 PM

MP1 puts in nearly 1/3 of his stack and you think you can get him to fold AK, AQ or even 99-JJ. Be real.

#1, most people will go to war with AK.
#2, some people will go to war with AQ but possibly fold to major aggression, but with 1/3 of their stack out there, they are most likely going to war with that, hoping they are in a race.
#3, if i'm villain and have 99-JJ, put 1/3 of my stack in and you limp raise all-in, I'm praying you have AK or AQ and I call (of course i'll be ecstatic when you flip over your 88)

This was a bad play against a player who is getting close to desperate with his stack and has shown he is willing to go to war with his hand. Your best chance is a race. This was not a good move and UTG+1 was still to act when you pushed. Very risky considering the range of hands you put him on, he's not going to fold that range 90% of the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 PM

eh it really depends on how far along in the tourney for this move. Final table i ll gamble, early on i fold, not necessary to go down to 1300 on a coin flip at best with the blinds so low. I dont care if you won this pot or not FOLD.

Dont go outside your game. Tight is right, everytime i try to make fancy plays i [censored] myself. You are HUGE dog im guessing i doubt this hand was even a coinflip, havent read other comments yet.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:01 PM

Youre right Mike...the outcome doesn't matter, only the logic behind which was clearly flawed and wrong for the reasons put forth by rockin. You are also right to advocate staying within my game. I to {censored} myself whan I get FPS.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM

One of the keys to making moves is fold equity. You have none. Why get into a coin flip or, worse, a situation where you are a 4.5:1 underdog.

Easy fold.