Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM

Default set on board

Supersatellite for $200 tournament. 18 players left, 3 seats.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t5660)
UTG+1 (t2426)
MP1 (t1618)
MP2 (t4935)
Hero (t3685)
Button (t3071)
SB (t13220)
BB (t5496)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1400) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t1800) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t2200) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1200</font>, Hero ???
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: set on board

What are your reads on the SB?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 PM

huh..weird. I think i would probally raise the turn, probally checking behind on the river if it blanked. Minibets f-me up though

The way this hand plays out he's playing it exactly like a 3 or a medium pocket pair, so i think the river is a fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM

I hate donk bets on this kind of board. Folding seems weak, and calling seems no better. Any reads on villain?

I think at some point you have to either fold or put in a raise. Given your position it's not silly to think that you have an 8 (or a pocket pair), so it might be worth representing it. The dreaded min-raise on the turn ought to get you to a showdown pretty cheaply, and that's my goal if I'm going to play this hand. (Yes, the min-raise is a donk bet, but I don't mind looking like a donk from time to time, and I believe it would get him to check the river.)

The smooth call can be equally scary, I guess, so the bet on the river would seem to mean something good happened to him. I'd hate myself for getting into this position and fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding seems weak

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the confirmation Sam. I'm for folding here and I'm weak. Calling and losing leaves us with like 1400 chips. Fold here and Hero still has some play. Besides, the big stack has gotten that way for a reason. Much of the time its not because hes the best player, its because he hits flushes and full houses on the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folding seems weak

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the confirmation Sam. I'm for folding here and I'm weak. Calling and losing leaves us with like 1400 chips. Fold here and Hero still has some play. Besides, the big stack has gotten that way for a reason. Much of the time its not because hes the best player, its because he hits flushes and full houses on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean folding on the river, or on the flop? Folding the river seems like a good idea. Folding the flop seems weak.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 PM

folding flop or turn would be really bad. folding on the river is pretty close. i probably fold. villain should think you have pretty much exactly what you do have, and it doesn't look like it worries him.

i'd play it just like you up till then.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Cool, I meant the river... I would have raised the flop. But believe me, I'm still weak.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your reads on the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is loose aggressive and plays a lot of hands. He seems to be good player for this level of tournament. Earlier he raised me when I bluffed at a T22r board from the blinds.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 PM

Personally, I raise the flop up to 1000 or fold. I am not calling here. And if I call here, I certainly do not call again on the Turn. I am inclined to push the turn rather than call. On the river, you have to fold. Yes, he could have a weaker ace or some sort of a busted draw, but I think he has the boat - KT, or AT is my guess.

He could have trip 8s, but I want to raise the flop to find out. Just calling gives you no info. So, my line - Raise the flop, fold to a reraise.