Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM

Default PLO- Do I Need to Bet This Flop?

I know very little about Omaha, but I built a stack early taking advantage of fish and then bullied the bubble. Post-flop play is not my specialty. This is the first hand inside of the 'money', which is trivial except for the top couple of spots, and there is no jump at all until half the remining field (9/18) is eliminated.

PokerStars (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 600.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot:

Do I need to continuation bet this flop? What about on the turn? I was accustomed to my pot-sized raises taking down the pot, so when I got two calls, I felt like TPQK wasn't such a strong hand.

Converter isn't showing bet sizes, but I raised pot pre-flop.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: PLO- Do I Need to Bet This Flop?

I'd have to see stack sizes and the size of the pot before guessing at this one. (And it would be a guess...)

Sam
Old 12-06-2005, 04:45 PM

So long as a 1/2 pot cont. bet doesn't hurt the stack to much, I would throw it out there, maybe take it down there. I also wouldn't be shocked to get checkraised because of this nice drawing board. If so, I probably fold.

I don't mind the way you played it and have probably been in the same situation many times and have played it both ways.

All in all... free showdown...ok
Old 12-06-2005, 05:31 PM

I would make a continution bet on the flop, probably a pot sized continuation bet. You raised preflop, so you obviously hit a set on this flop.

In deep stack cash PLO games, I almost always bet pot on an ace high board if I raised preflop.

You have to bet this flop strongly. Unless someone has a set a high flush draw or QJT, there is no way they can call. A pot sized bet would probably get a set of 5s and some other strong hands to fold.

I would bet from 40% pot to pot on the turn. No one has shown interest in this. You either just made trips or you filled up with the high set you were slow playing.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Is this PLO? Or limit (which is what it looks like) ? I bet it every time though.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM

it's PLO, the converter sucks (well no it doesnt, but, this is one of its flaws) and loses all the bets for omaha.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Sorry, didn't notice the converter dropped the stack sizes. The limper was the tournament chipleader, he had ~90K and had been playing loose. I had ~20K, which was enough to cover the other caller, but not by much.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's PLO, the converter sucks (well no it doesnt, but, this is one of its flaws) and loses all the bets for omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.. that sucks.