Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Chip-chop question.

Small 22$ PLO tourny, I just got to HU against tatta, who's a top 150 TLB player and a way better PLO player than me.

He has 118741 chips, I have 29759 chips.

First pays 594$, 2nd pays 396$. Stakes at 800/1600 about to be 1000/2000.

What's a decent chop for me?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Chip-chop question.

Did he want to chop? He was steamrolling there. BTW, that was me you busted in 3rd (3plus3)

Good Game.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Oh, you didn't say anything (and why did you sit out so many times ? you lost like 10 bb's for no reason whatsoever).

And ya, he did want to chop and we did chop. I'm not sure why, but I took it. Just wanting to know what is a good price for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:30 PM

sitting out is one of the downsides to playing at work...LOL Between that and the really lousy cards at the final table, still happy for the decent cash.

I played with tatta for the first time yesterday. Very aggressive and wins alot of pots. Wish I could play that way.

What did you get?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sitting out is one of the downsides to playing at work...LOL Between that and the really lousy cards at the final table, still happy for the decent cash.

I played with tatta for the first time yesterday. Very aggressive and wins alot of pots. Wish I could play that way.

What did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

534$ for him, 456$ for me. It sounded good enough to take, but I was too tired to do the math, so I was wondering what are the standard chop numbers in PS for that ratio (and obviously I hope I got more, since as sirio taught us, chipchop is bad for shortstacks).

Tatta is very good in Omaha (havn't played holdem with him), but if I wasn't so tired, I wouldn't have taken a chop. He's a bit over-aggro when it comes to HU, imo. As they say in euro-rounders, you're only a 52-48 dog with rags in PLO, so I would be gambling like there's no tomorrow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 PM

If he knows he's better than you, and has that kind of lead, I'd be pretty happy with $396.50.

But seriously folks, who asked for the deal? If it was him, you have a bit more room to negotiate. I think $446 is about right in terms of the maths, but in addition to the chip lead he's got momentum and skill on his side, so I'd take anything close to this.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he knows he's better than you, and has that kind of lead, I'd be pretty happy with $396.50.

But seriously folks, who asked for the deal? If it was him, you have a bit more room to negotiate. I think $446 is about right in terms of the maths, but in addition to the chip lead he's got momentum and skill on his side, so I'd take anything close to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked for the chop. He offered 446$, I asked for 466$, we settled for 456$. If you say the math is good, then i'm good with that.

Is there a simple formula to do that?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM

There is, and it's in TPFAP. I'm going off memory, but I think you essentially take the difference between first and second place, and divide it based on the chip-count. So with a 4:1 difference, you should have gotten second place money plus 20% of the 1st-2nd.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM

The way I'd count it, since you have 20% of the total chips and he has 80%, I'd take anything above:

$396 + .20 (594 - 396) = $435.60
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM

ICM says his equity is $554.32 and yours is $435.68.
If you trust ICM's chip modeling algorithm, you made yourself an extra $20.