Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Can I Make More Money on Flopped Quads?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi All,

Hand I just played. My table image is probably slightly LAG ish but nowhere near a maniac.

I have T3000 ish and blinds are 50/100

I pick up black 9's UTG + 1. UTG limps, I limp , all fold and blinds complete.

Flop is 993.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise PF...

U have been playing Lag....and all of a susdden u limp...

ALARM BELLS ???
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought about letting him bet out the river, but say he min bets again on the river, BB calls and I raise and they both fold I have gained T200.

If I raise the turn as I did to T500 and get one caller, that is +T400, and if I get two callers, T800 - surely a better +Ev overall?

This was my thinking here.

I find that too often, I catch a flop (not this huge mind you) and I try to slow play. Then when I make my move on the turn or river, a scare card has come and the opponent gets away easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would only win 200, compared to the 100 you won here. Just smooth call this. This is a $5 MTT where the competition is bad and soft and thinks only in the myths about poker. I smoothcall, check the turn, let one of the 2 lead. Then I count to 15 and call. They'll think you're weak. Why check-raise the flop? If the flop was 99A, I'd consider it, just because I think I could get a call. But 993? Who else hits it? Nobody.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:23 PM

I like the way you played it. Raise the flop and kill all you action. Raise the turn with the 4 and maybe get a small ace drawing to a wheel. Other than that this board helps noone.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:32 PM

I actually like to solidly raise the flop. Everyone expects you to slowplay a 9, so why do exactly that? After the flop has been bet and called by two people all the action dies just because of that. And with your turn raise you announce that it was you that had the 9 (nevermind 2 of them), and the correctly fold. With a flopraise there is a pretty big chance a pocketpair higher than 3's is calling thinkig you are trying to steal the por representing a 9. Just my 5 cents.

The way you played it I prefer calling the turn as well, and raise the river however much you think they will call. that means a small raise, not 100 to 500. They are both very wary that someone might have been slowplaying the 9, and you will not get much action unless someone has 44 or 33 the way this hand played.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seke, our goal isn't to maximize the average amount of times villains put money into the pot but to maximize the average amount of money villains put into the pot.

The fact of the matter is that there are a few hands which we can stack here instead of getting the 400 or so that we get from letting the minbetting continue. The vast majority of these hands are scared by the vast majority of turn cards that can fall. So, I like raising the flop to 500-700.

[/ QUOTE ]

so exactly what hands give you their stack here? 33 is going down anyway, no other hands are really gonna put too much into this pot. You absolutely should slow play this to the river.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so exactly what hands give you their stack here? 33 is going down anyway, no other hands are really gonna put too much into this pot. You absolutely should slow play this to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

44-88, and any hand with a 3 in it are hands that I want more money from. My big concern is that they fold a lot of turns/rivers if we wait til then to raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:14 PM

Agreed. If we wanna make money on this hand, we have to make them on the flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:05 AM

Having just limped in,on the flop I "bluff" about 400 after that weak bet and call. If they truly have nothing, they're going to fold without putting much more in this pot regardless. With any luck, one of them will see through your bluff and call or repop you. From his point of view, why would you raise here if you had the 9? Looks suspicious.

If we make it to the turn I check. I tried my bluff, it didn't work, I surrender. If he bets here, I just call if it's believable I'm on a draw. If not I re-raise.

Assuming he checks the turn, I overbet the pot on the river. One last ditch bluff here, and hopefully he's caught something on this board that might justify a call to look up your suspicious bet.

This line may not get past the flop very often, but when it does, it usually pays off your ultramonster hands well.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-19-2005, 06:27 AM

If you FOLDED quads every time you flopped them, it wouldn't have as great an impact on your ROI% as if you found/plugged the the 37th biggest leak in your game.

It happens so rarely, the important thing is just to enjoy the moment. For me personally, I play them fast and if this happens to be the hand my opponents are feeling frisky then so be it.

So don't even worry about it.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 AM

ima put SB/BB on junk MUCH more often than 44-88. I think that a turn/river will improve their hand much more often than scare them from putting in any more money then they otherwise would. Most opponents fold a 3 on the flop fearing a higher pair/8, so I dont think getting the most value from a 3 will be accomplished by raising a flop.