Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Is this a good spot?

I am normally a limit player but am working on getting into mtt's -- playing the the 20+2 Party satellite for a seat in the million dollar guarantee. 120 people, top 5 win a seat (6 gets nothing) -- I think I made the right play here, but I wanted to get some thoughts. I apologize for some reason party wasn't saving the hand history so here's my description.

Blinds are 750/1500 – I have about 11k after posting the big blind, three other players not involved in this hand have between 9-18k. I’m dealt 10’s in the big blind, folded to the SB (~65k) raised to 4k, This short handed and right at the bubble I haven’t seen many of the SB’s cards, but as a big stack he played fairly aggressive and successfully stole a lot of blinds, I figure he could be on a very wide range of cards. I push ------- he calls with 3’s and I catch some bad luck!

Not a bad beat whine at all, it happens, and with his chips I would have done the same. I just want to get some other opinions on if I should have folded to his initial raise and waited until I was the aggressor, etc….. Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Is this a good spot?

Perfectly fine play. I'm pushing anything 77+, AJ+, maybe KQ, and thinking about pushing a lot of lesser hands. SB has a very wide range here with a big stack, he just wants to price you out of the hand if you don't have something decent.

If you don't push here, your only other reasonable play is to stop and go, call the raise and push any flop.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:44 PM

Sounds like you just ran into some bad luck. I would have done the same thing if I were you based on what I would have done as the SB. I would have made the same play as chip leader in SB thinking my 3s are good enough to push you since odds are you dont have much in terms of cards. You were about an 77% favorite PF, I guess the guy caught his set of 3s. Good stand, bad luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I had many options, but will take my hand anyday! To make things worse I turned the flush and the board paired on the river to boat him..... at least it was interested.

I though of the stop and go move, call and fold to an ugly board, but from what I have seen from the BB is that they are pretty much coming out with a 1/3 to pot sized bet regardless of the cards.... so unless I catch my set I have a tough decision with any over on the board. Plus then I would have had a very small stack and any raise I make would mean little -- plus the other 2/3 people who were close to me would have just waited for me to make a move or get blinded out....

Oh well, I'm confident I made the correct play, just wanted to get other people's thoughts, so please feel free to comment further. I guess HOH1 helped a ton, but I need HOH2 to help me a bit further.... Damn I want to play in that million guarantee, so close...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM

Stop and go is called as such because of the "and go."

If you're going to take that line, you push any flop. No matter what. Even an "ugly" one. Because your opponent is on such a wide range, he's more likely to miss the flop than you.

In this case, let's take an example of what an ugly flop would be for your hand.

Let's say it comes out A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. That's pretty ugly for a TT hand. But if you push this, is your opponent calling with 33? Probably less chance of that than him calling your preflop push. He might call anyway because of pot odds, which is why the PF push makes more sense here.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 PM

Oh alright, I didn't fully understand what was meant, thanks for the follow up, I see where this could come in handy.

Thanks again for the input
Old 11-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Dont like the stop and go here, hes going to have to call 7 to win 16 on the flop, better than 2:1. Plus you're letting go of an opportunity to snap off a possible steal preflop and increasing your stack by a huge amount without even seeing a flop.

I don't like his raise with pocket 3s, he has to figure you're going to push soon and 3s are crap against any hands you might be goin with, at best 50-50 and at worst exactly the situation he was in. He knows that his raise looks like a steal. Better to put you all in here if he wants a showdown.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:13 PM

Don't really see any other way to play it. You push and he folds...good. You push he calls and you double up most of the time...great

An besides, villain usually only hits that set when you have QQ or higher.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:16 PM

Your M score(Ur stack divided by starting pot) was below 5. A push with tens is def a favorable situation especially against one opponent. Sounds to me like you got some bad luck because of the situation you were in. Calling with 3s was pretty lose by SB but also given ur stack u could be making that move on a marginal hand that has much less value than your 10s. good play nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 PM

I see no option but to push here. You're way ahead of the villain's range. You got your money in way ahead and got sucked out on, it happens.