Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Default I suck with sidepots

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter

MP ($70.15)
CO ($252)
Button ($243.60)
SB ($986.10)
Hero ($396)
UTG ($215)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $12</font>, MP calls $12, CO calls $12, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, UTG calls $63, MP calls $58.15 (All-In), CO folds, SB calls $63.

Flop: ($307.15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: ($307.15) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $16</font>, Hero calls $16, UTG calls $16.

River: ($355.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, UTG calls $75, SB folds.

Final Pot: $505.15

A couple of questions:
1) What about preflop? Anyone flat call here? I wanted to reraise to isolate against the shorties, esp. with all that money already in there... should I raise bigger?

2) I'm really lost postflop with a basically dry sidepot and a huge mainpot. Didn't see any need to bet flop with the nut draw. Just don't know how much to bet/raise my big hands here...

thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: I suck with sidepots

pf raise is good.

You definitely need to raise this turn, infact pushing it would not be a bad idea. Either way your money should be in by the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely need to raise this turn, infact pushing it would not be a bad idea. Either way your money should be in by the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking now, looking back... given the small size of the sidepot, how much would you raise turn? Full pot? Overbet?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking now, looking back... given the small size of the sidepot, how much would you raise turn? Full pot? Overbet?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not deep enough for either an overbet or even a full pot raise.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not deep enough for either an overbet or even a full pot raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

err, I meant pot raise/overbet of the side pot. my bad.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Don't think about the sidepot as a separate thing from the main pot. If somebody has a set on this board, they're getting great odds to win over $400 total (both the main and the side) if they can get the board to pair. You have the nuts for both pots-- no reason to not get it in.

Really, the only thing the empty sidepot does is take semibluffing and pure bluffs out of your arsenal as you'll still have to show down the best hand to win. In that vein, checking the flop is fine because you can't win it right there. Betting wouldn't be horrible, either as you might get a smallish pair to fold and be in pretty decent shape against the all-in player (who you might be ahead of or even freerolling is he has a different AK or some other unpaired big cards). Once the turn gives you the nuts, you want to play it fast and get the money in.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:48 PM

You write some very nice posts.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think about the sidepot as a separate thing from the main pot. If somebody has a set on this board, they're getting great odds to win over $400 total (both the main and the side) if they can get the board to pair. You have the nuts for both pots-- no reason to not get it in.

Really, the only thing the empty sidepot does is take semibluffing and pure bluffs out of your arsenal as you'll still have to show down the best hand to win. In that vein, checking the flop is fine because you can't win it right there. Betting wouldn't be horrible, either as you might get a smallish pair to fold and be in pretty decent shape against the all-in player (who you might be ahead of or even freerolling is he has a different AK or some other unpaired big cards). Once the turn gives you the nuts, you want to play it fast and get the money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post

I think I've been playing way too timid with sidepots, something I'm obviously going to work on