Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Brief thought on big hands on draw-heavy boards

[ QUOTE ]
don't do that.
but let me put this whole arguement to rest.

i am in no way arguing against playing sets fast on the flop i was just posting an alternative line to be used on occassion in order to improve one's overall game.

[/ QUOTE ]Let me follow that up with a question. When do you the best time is to not raise the flop with a set. Did you not raise this flop in particular because you the button might make a play at the pot? Or is this the kind of thing you advocate mostly for shania purposes?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Does the prf really have to push or fold here given his 12 outs? Does the set fold to a push on the turn whether it's an 8, K, or (non-boat-making) heart? If so, are non-heart A's not a bluff card for the prf? Could the set put pfr on KTs raising preflop?

If the turn comes K or 8 non-heart especially and pfr checks doesn't he get all the money in by river one way or the other-excluding boat making card of course?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me follow that up with a question. When do you the best time is to not raise the flop with a set. Did you not raise this flop in particular because you the button might make a play at the pot? Or is this the kind of thing you advocate mostly for shania purposes?

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all i have no idea what "shania" is.
second of all i don't have a formula for when to raise or not...game dynamics is the determining factor.

however the important point is that you try and incorporate different strategies into your game in order to make your play less predicatable.

like i said if you play with shallow stacks...or online with many different players its less important.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me follow that up with a question. When do you the best time is to not raise the flop with a set. Did you not raise this flop in particular because you the button might make a play at the pot? Or is this the kind of thing you advocate mostly for shania purposes?

[/ QUOTE ]

second of all i don't have a formula for when to raise or not...game dynamics is the determining factor.

however the important point is that you try and incorporate different strategies into your game in order to make your play less predicatable.

like i said if you play with shallow stacks...or online with many different players its less important.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone link him with srendi already.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't play at all online so i don't know if this is as necessary there, but i know that when you play high limit live its crucial because you play with the same people so often, and they are paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against all the randoms who pop in and out of the games, not necessary. Against the stronger regulars (a small group), it's important to mix things up.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] linky
Old 10-11-2005, 01:43 AM

rbk knows what Shania is, it's part of everything that he's talking about (and everything worth talking about in real big-bet poker).....he just doesn't use the freakin' nerd-ass 2+2 term....maybe next someone else can educate us all about "the Gap Theory" or the "Inflection Point" or some other poker concept that NOBODY in the history of poker would know anything about if it weren't for the geniuses at 2+2.....
Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] linky

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that and I still have no idea! Not for my simple mind I guess.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rbk knows what Shania is, it's part of everything that he's talking about (and everything worth talking about in real big-bet poker).....he just doesn't use the freakin' nerd-ass 2+2 term....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with you 100%. If I read one more post where someone (read: Strasser) personifies "Shania" and talks about some stupid [censored] like "pleasuring her" when referring to meta-game considerations, I think I'm going to flip out.

ML4L
Old 10-11-2005, 10:39 AM

RBK, not to clutter the boards, but just wanted to say appreciate your posts. Sometimes it seems like posters believe they have the "absolutely correct" play, but don't realize the shades of gray that can really bring somebody's game to the next level.

On a similar note, I find checking in a heads up pot, after hitting trips on the turn, frequently leads to a call on the river by an underpair who can't understand why I wouldn't have bet my trips on the turn. I know, not genius, but just a play that works.