Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: the long-awaited Book 4 is nearly here

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This series is hardcore. Nothing cutesy about it. No magical wizards and shining knights. No clear good or bad guys. Any character can die or have a terrible injury at any moment. Brutal violence. Lots of sex. Read any ranking of Fantasy/Scifi books and ASOIF will be #1. Nothing else really compares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet.

Too bad the name of the series is so dorky. More people would probably read this stuff if the sight of it on your endtable didn't make girls think you sat in your cellar all day eating expired Beefaroni and rolling for experience points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really disagree with you there. The cover art used to be just as bad. They just changed it to make it more classic looking, though.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he does wrap it up quickly. All the other long-term series have degenerated terribly. Terry Goodkind became boring, and The Wheel of Time became unreadable 3 or 4 books ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantasy series are subject to a version of the hold-up problem.

Say an author has a solid 7-book series planned.

He writes 5 books and has a loyal following. Now, he can either write 2 more good books or 4 medium quality books. He sells more books and makes more money doing the latter. Say he writes two more medium quality books. He know has about a book worth of content that he can stick in two medium quality books or 4 shitty books, etc.,etc. The latest Robert Jordan book could be summarized on an index card worth of bullet points.

Terry Goodkind suffers from this effect, but to a lesser degree, because the series' gimmick makes it obvious how shitty his books are becoming. "Richard, you forgot the Wizard's Fourteenth Rule: 'Buy low, sell high'!" doesn't have the same quality as some of the earlier books.

I think Ice and Fire is going that way too, from this development.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 PM

I am rereading them now- I am 3/4 of the way through book 2. I am catching a lot more the 2nd time through; before, I was hurrying ahead to see who was going to get killed or maimed next [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The original publish date for book 4 was mid-September, which is why I started re-reading when I did- I had it timed perfectly! The push back to November really screwed me. Bastards.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am rereading them now- I am 3/4 of the way through book 2. I am catching a lot more the 2nd time through; before, I was hurrying ahead to see who was going to get killed or maimed next [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should re-read them too, for the same reason, but I don't have time before the next one comes out. Too many other good books to read. Maybe I will re-read them all after both of the next 2 come out, I'm sure there will be a loooooong lull again.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Ice and Fire is going that way too, from this development.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying you are wrong, because obviously I don't know yet. However, Martin could have made more money by releasing this book years ago. I hope that he spent all this time making the book stand up to the quality of the previous ones. I also think it is premature to accuse Martin of Jordanism before he actually publishes a sub-par book. Man, it would really suck if this series headed that way.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Release date is tomorrow, right?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Release date is tomorrow, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I got the thing from England weeks ago. I made a thread about it with a topic A Feast for Crows.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 PM

matt,

your pm box is too large preventing me from pming you. i need your awesome advice on something.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This series is hardcore. Nothing cutesy about it. No magical wizards and shining knights. No clear good or bad guys. Any character can die or have a terrible injury at any moment. Brutal violence. Lots of sex. Read any ranking of Fantasy/Scifi books and ASOIF will be #1. Nothing else really compares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Basically, its fantasy for grownups, which the genre is sadly lacking these days IMO.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM

my pm box will stay too large til i delete 400 messages. e-mail me at mflynn3@yahoo.com