Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default A Song of Ice and Fire: the long-awaited Book 4 is nearly here

Martin's had five years. Hopefully this is a quadrilogy.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...88738?v=glance
Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: the long-awaited Book 4 is nearly here

On his website he says that Feast for Crows was too long. Instead of splitting it into two parts, he split it into two seperate books.

"The focus in FEAST will be on Westeros, King's Landing, the riverlands, Dorne, and the Iron Islands...Meanwhile, all the characters and stories removed from FEAST are moving right into A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, which will focus on events in the east and north"

So, awesome that this one is coming out, sad that there's more I'll have to wait to read.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:28 PM

Last I heard, GRRM was expecting the series to go seven books. That's up from the originally planned six, thanks to Feast actually becoming two books.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:46 PM

I love this series. I can't believe it's been 5 years...and I can't wait for the next one. But I've seen it bumped back so many times now I'm losing hope - will it really come out this time???
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love this series. I can't believe it's been 5 years...and I can't wait for the next one. But I've seen it bumped back so many times now I'm losing hope - will it really come out this time???

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definately coming out. It will focus on the southern part of Westros. A lot of big POVs from the first three books, such as those on the Wall, will not be seen. But I don't give a [censored], its a new ASOIF book, and that's all that matters. These are easily my favorite books, and anyone who can handle the brutal events sould read them.

BTW, George Martin is fooling himself. No way this wraps up in seven books. He should just go ahead and call it nine.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:14 PM

I really liked David Eddings' stuff (Belgarion and Sparhawk series') when I read them in middle/high school. I've been rereading them lately, and they feel a little "thin" (a little too cutesy and rinkydink in parts) compared to what I remember, though still enjoyable. Is this series by Martin somewhat comparable to Eddings, but perhaps a little more sophisticated?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:16 PM

I hope he does wrap it up quickly. All the other long-term series have degenerated terribly. Terry Goodkind became boring, and The Wheel of Time became unreadable 3 or 4 books ago.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:20 PM

This series is hardcore. Nothing cutesy about it. No magical wizards and shining knights. No clear good or bad guys. Any character can die or have a terrible injury at any moment. Brutal violence. Lots of sex. Read any ranking of Fantasy/Scifi books and ASOIF will be #1. Nothing else really compares.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he does wrap it up quickly. All the other long-term series have degenerated terribly. Terry Goodkind became boring, and The Wheel of Time became unreadable 3 or 4 books ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it can wrap up quickly. The main story has just started. The kids still have to grow up. The two invasions have to take place.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This series is hardcore. Nothing cutesy about it. No magical wizards and shining knights. No clear good or bad guys. Any character can die or have a terrible injury at any moment. Brutal violence. Lots of sex. Read any ranking of Fantasy/Scifi books and ASOIF will be #1. Nothing else really compares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet.

Too bad the name of the series is so dorky. More people would probably read this stuff if the sight of it on your endtable didn't make girls think you sat in your cellar all day eating expired Beefaroni and rolling for experience points.