Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Sony CDs Rootkit Your Systems (Bad news)

[ QUOTE ]
all i was saying was that i think it's reasonable to target sony's audio cd division on principle and leave the rest alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with holding this belief, as good as it sounds, is in order to be effective in a lot of situations you will have to "fvck yourself". This is exactly what you are trying to avoid. It is rare that one defeats a ruthless villian without being ruthless himself.

That being said, I understand and think your line is reasonable. Based on historical events, I just think there are more effective and less self damaging routes. If I do perform an indirect boycott I will email the general company to inform them what I'm doing.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps if people didn't insist on stealing music en masse, this stuff wouldn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
And ironically, the people stealing music en masse are uneffected by the issue, while those who buy cd's are.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking with FORTUNE magazine, Stringer confirmed that the PS3 will initially be sold at a significant loss in order to drive the Blu-Ray next-generation DVD standard out into the marketplace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should people cry about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you care about being able to fast forward through the commercials on a dvd you actually bought?

do you care about the ability for your media center system/dvr to store copies of your movies in the future for easy access?

do you care about how much storage space a dvd has so that more and/or higher quality stuff can fit on it?

do you want to be able to watch hd movies on any hd television, not just those with copy-protected dvi/hdmi inputs?

all of this stuff is determined by the standard. look at vhs and dvd. these things last a long time. if a bad one is selected, we're stuck with it.

people don't buy media players when they first come out, they wait for it to get cheap/popular. people buy consoles the minute they're released. if sony is able to make blu-ray the hd dvd disc standard by default as a result of this, the consumers lose. the standard should be ratified on its features and price, not by the ability to appear in a home for 'free'. the hd-dvd and blu-ray standards should have to fight so that they compromise and add the stuff people want.

patents are a big factor for industry too. the reason you have to buy a separate accessory to enable dvd functionality on modern consoles is because the manufacturers would have to pay a royalty for every system sold. sounds like an industry problem, but it affects consumers in a very real way. it would be a standard feature if it weren't for the patents, which are a part of the dvd standard and could be a part of the hd dvd standard depending on what happens.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with holding this belief, as good as it sounds, is in order to be effective in a lot of situations you will have to "fvck yourself".

[/ QUOTE ]

the point wasn't to be effective. i suggested it as a feelgood/philosophical boycott that was less potentially self-crippling. the whole reason i came into this thread was because i thought that an 'effective' boycott (one to push sony to take some sort of action) was unnecessary.

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what you are trying to avoid. It is rare that one defeats a ruthless villian without being ruthless himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not trying to avoid it because it's painful, i'm trying to avoid it because it's unnecessary. it was obvious to me that sony was going to get screwed 6 ways from sunday by the press. if that wasn't the case, i would have been happy to do something more drastic.