Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 09:25 PM

Default straight draw vs paired board

3c 5s 3d

you hold 4h6h

no chance for backdooring the flush, but you're open ended.

First to act bets, 2 call to you 2 to act after you. Whats the play? How do you play this? Call or get out?

I know the pot justifies the odds to call for a straight, but even if you hit the straight might not be the best hand.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: straight draw vs paired board

I know the pot justifies the odds to call for a straight, but even if you hit the straight might not be the best hand.

I’m not as concerned about that as I am about a raise from a player behind me. I’ll stay in the hand as long as the action doesn’t get too heavy.

TC,
pf
Old 05-23-2003, 01:53 PM

This is a MUCH different situation than if you hold QT flop JJ9. Small pairs are not NEARLY as dangerous as big pairs (players play a LOT more hands featuring a J than a 3), and if you make your hand other players aren't as paranoid about it, and rightfully so. If you snag a K someone with a K may not even call you; but if you snag a 7 to your little straight almost all big pairs will call.

With your actual hand 64 flop 533, "raise" is one of the prime options, ESPECIALLY of an early player bet (rather than one of the blinds). With 3 players in and nobody behind me, I'd raise. But I may call if there are 2 more potential callers to "suck in". The my hand QT flop JJ9, "fold" becomes somewhat a possibility.

Now, don't routinely raise with the flush/straight draws on a paired board, but the tiny pairs aren't nearly as bad.

- Louie
Old 05-23-2003, 02:25 PM

If you never entered the pot you wouldn't have this problem. I would recommend all beginners to not call this hand in middle position.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:49 PM

i usually play very very selectively but something caught my eye with this hand for some reason. alot of people were seeing the flop, not much raising from the players behind me. i figured if i miss the flop im out, otherwise it might make a nice pot... and it did when i rivered the straight [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

thanks for all the advice, especially to lou made alot of sense to me over something i was definately overlooking as a newb. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 08:14 PM

At worst i think you are playing against A 5. I wouldn't worry about drawing dead too, since it's raindow. To have someone hold 3 5 for the boat would be just as unseen as them spotting you on a straight draw, i.e. your implied odds on this are nice.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:17 AM

On this flop I feel a lot more confident about my draw than on one featuring bigger cards, especially Broadway cards. The only legit hand to worry about here is 55 so I'd probably reraise here and if it gets capped, then maybe I start getting concerned.