Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Quick one

3-handed 30/60 LAG who is probably auto-raising here open-raises from the SB, I defend the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BTW this guy is likely to keep betting no matter what I don't think free cards are likely.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he bets. This is a call, right?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Quick one

Do you then check fold the turn unimproved? What do you plan to do if A. a J comes B. a 5 comes, C. a 6 comes, and D. a spade comes? I've been having some difficulties in short handed situations like this and am never really sure of what to do.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM

A fold seems wrong when you can basically have 6-8 outs here and will get paid nicely on your backdoor draws when LAG has anything decent.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM

Against a random hand on that flop, you are about 30-40% of the time favourite to win . If my estimation is correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
so I think call is ok against auto-betting LAG
Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-handed 30/60 LAG who is probably auto-raising here open-raises from the SB, I defend the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BTW this guy is likely to keep betting no matter what I don't think free cards are likely.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he bets. This is a call, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a +EV call.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Yeah, i think this is surely a call w/ the outs that you likely have.

in a spot like this though, do you ever try semibluff raising on the turn if you pick up one of your draws, or is the bluff factor in the semibluff just too miniscule?

also, vs. a LAG i'd think you'd raise if you hit the J on the turn, since you'd then be a huge favorite at that point, but would a 5 on the turn be enough to raise, or would there be better value in simply calling down there vs. most LAGs?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM

This is a fairly good flop for you (no overcard to your jack, only one overcard to your five, hard for him to connect with, has a spade, gives you a backdoor straight draw, no enemy flush draw, etc.). If you are going to fold on flops like this one, you are giving up the pot so often that I think you would actually do better by folding preflop. The only way you can fold the flop is if the guy will raise preflop and then only bet the flop if he hits, but I am assuming that is not the case here since he is described as lag.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, vs. a LAG i'd think you'd raise if you hit the J on the turn, since you'd then be a huge favorite at that point, but would a 5 on the turn be enough to raise, or would there be better value in simply calling down there vs. most LAGs?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can raise the five because it creates lots of straight possibility (e.g., any ace now has a gutshot), so there are lots of ways for you to get action from a worse hand. It looks to me like you can raise for value given how often you will extract an extra bet from something you are beating.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can raise the five because it creates lots of straight possibility (e.g., any ace now has a gutshot), so there are lots of ways for you to get action from a worse hand. It looks to me like you can raise for value given how often you will extract an extra bet from something you are beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i mean, i know you get value out of the raise, but when you raise the turn, is it with the idea of checking behind, or betting on most rivers if checked to? The only reason that i'd think calling rather than raising might be better is b/c the assumption vs. this guy is that he's probably going to bet the river if you just call on the turn. So i guess if you're still likely to have a value bet on the river after raising the turn then it makes sense, but to me it seems that a lot of rivers won't give you great opportunities for getting an obvious value bet.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fairly good flop for you (no overcard to your jack, only one overcard to your five, hard for him to connect with, has a spade, gives you a backdoor straight draw, no enemy flush draw, etc.). If you are going to fold on flops like this one, you are giving up the pot so often that I think you would actually do better by folding preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm reasonably sure that this flop counts as a miss - i would always call the pre-flop raise but its thin - part of my usual equity was stealing/bluffing but that equity is diminished against someone who is unlikely to fold - if you chase crap too much then you shouldnt be calling pre-flop

i think its close with fold being fine

chasing a guy who will almost auto bet to the end raises the interesting question of how much additional chasing you should do - having thin pot odds, some less than clean outs, nasty reverse implied odds, and a crap hand that missed the flop certainly causes me to worry that i'm chasing too much

stripsqueez - chickenhawk