Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Bet/Bet/Check-raise line

If he's that aggro I like check-raising the turn and leading the river a lot more.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Check-raise turn AND river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

nah, not really, unless I'm the villain (see below). I'm more for checkraising the turn than the river though.

However, against an overly aggro player who actually thinks enough to realize that you think as well, this play may actually work since they don't expect you to be stupid enough to try and check raise twice.

I have fallen into this trap against players I've realized are thinking about the game. When they check again after having check-raised the turn and I sit with a missed draw my line of thought has been going like this:

* He check-raised me on the turn.
* He wouldn't think I'm so stupid I'd fall for it again, so this time his check realy means weakness and the turn c/r was just bluffing.
* I only need my river bluff (or my A-high) to work once in X times (X>5).

Hence, I bet. Get check-raised again and feel like the idiot I am.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's that aggro I like check-raising the turn and leading the river a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line... why? But he has shown himself to be not overly aggressive on the flop & turn (AFs in the 1-2 range) with a huge AF on the river combined with low WtSD which makes me believe that he may check behind on the turn but would bet the river.

Anyways, he 3-bet me, I called, and he showed JJ.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:11 PM

Against an aggressive player who will also fold a lot post flop, I think I would bet/call this river. If he's not giving credit to your bets on the flop and turn, he may call with lower pocket pairs, or even AK. He's likely to raise with AJ or JJ-AA, so you can call the raise. If you check, you can elicit a bet from a fair number of hands, but how many inferior hands are going to call your checkraise? Probably not many against a guy who folds a lot vs. a capper, and if you're three bet, you're likely in trouble, but should probably be paying off.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:40 PM

Seems like a good opportunity to get sexy.

nh

You could also try a turn c/r for metagame considerations. Given his stats and relative position, you're likely going to be checking to Villain quite often on the turn. We like to get a free river card sometimes and should therefore be c/r'ing with decent hands more frequently than usual.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*
I think you have to bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If he always bets if checked to but would fold a missed hand then why not let him take a stab at it? The only real risk if if he has backed into a 2 pair or better that has you beat then you open yourself up to an expensive 3 bet. But if your are confident that he will not only bet, but that he will call your raise with an inferior hand then it would appear to be a good stragegy to mix up your game a little. Even if he folds to the check-raise you still win an extra BB as he was likely to have folded to a river lead.

Of course if you cannot be almost certain that your opponent will bet then you should always lead yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because someone has a high river AF doesn't mean they bluff all the time.

My decision would be made by his won$at showdown.

If this is reasonably high, I would bet. The reason being, his aggression is warranted.
If it was low, he bluffs too much. Check raise is fine.

IMO. Counting on a bluff on the river is too risky.
He likes his hand or he doesn't. If he doesn't, the pot is big enough that he might call anyway.
If he likes it, you may have missed a 3bet opportunity.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]