FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Osama wants as President:
GWB 30 42.25%
Kerry 17 23.94%
Hillary (in '08) 3 4.23%
He doesn't care 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Will there ever be another Jeopardy! champion as great as Ken Jennings

is anyone else as happy as me that he is gone? I really didn't like watching the show because of him. Not because he won so much, but because he was so annoying.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Will there ever be another Jeopardy! champion as great as Ken Jennings

I agree that he was very annoying.

I didn't see the episode, but is it possible that he just got tired of winning and lost on purpose? My brother watched the show, and told me about the daily doubles and final jeopardy, and I agree that he easily could have not known the answers.

I wonder about this because my grandma always told me about some dude on Tic-Tac-Doe who won like $1M and then lost. She told me she was sure he got tired of winning and lost on purpose. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but when I saw Jenning's run I thought his eventual loss might be something like this.

I also think it's unfair to rule him the greatest Jeopardy champion ever when there could easily have been past 5 time champions who would have made it as long or longer.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM

no, he didn't throw the game, he flat out didn't know the answers to the daily doubles he missed, you could tell, plus they were hard too, I didn't even know them!

The final jeoperdy question I knew though, only because Cubswin figured it out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], Ken's guess of FedEx wasn't a terrible guess, he may have thought "Holiday season!", to bad FedEx has a [censored] load more employees than what the question asked. I am really glad that he lost because he didn't know the answers to some questions, as opposed to him losing because someone knew more stuff than him, makes it sweeter in my book.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see the episode, but is it possible that he just got tired of winning and lost on purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my impression of the episode. As far as the daily doubles go, those seemed to be tough questions. But the final question was hella easy and his guess of fedex was absolutely atrocious. Lets see, what industry works its as off for 4 monthes every year and chills out the rest?

Come on, for someone who has proven he can make great connections to not pick a tax firm is extremely suspicious.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:51 PM

dude, you could tell he was getting agitated every time he missed a daily double, he would look down closely at the scores and go to the hard questions. He looked like he was trying to win, but it could be that he threw the final jeoperdy question, but why would he? There is freakin money on the line.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, for someone who has proven he can make great connections to not pick a tax firm is extremely suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said later in an interview that he has always prepared his own taxes. Also, business and corporations type categories were never his strongest suit.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:58 PM

did anyone see at the end of the show, Alex Trebek said "Look Ken, the audience is paying you tribute." I wanted to shoot Alex, no one is paying Ken tribute, he is some nerd who knows a lot of useless info, don't put him on a pedestal.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He looked like he was trying to win, but it could be that he threw the final jeoperdy question, but why would he? There is freakin money on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jeopardy is a high-stress job. $2.5M is a lot of dough for most people. The combination of those two could have easily caused him to lose on purpose.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said later in an interview that he has always prepared his own taxes. Also, business and corporations type categories were never his strongest suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, perhaps I am comparing him to myself then. I have always done my taxes, as has my dad and I am very young (23). Also, my 2 friends in the room with me have always filed independently and are not business/finance oriented (I am an engineer.) I figured that since we all knew the answer easily that something fishy was going on.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 PM

It seems a pretty easy way to spend a day a week.
If he averaged 20k a show and they tape 5 shows a day, 100k/wk as a part-time job is enough to put up with the trip to LA every week.
Once he reached the 2.5m, I would say there was no real pressure any more.
As boring as it may become, I think its still relatively easy money.