Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 09:37 AM

Default 10-20 Mohegan Question

5-10 with full kill. This hand is 10-20 after some real big pots. The table is all regulars (meaning better than average to solid players) with the exception of one guy who really doesn't understand the game, has about $800 in front of him, and somehow just keeps catching on the turn and river.

I'm in the SB with 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Utg +2 limps. Middle position raises, woman to my right raises, I cap. Everyone calls.

Flop: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Utg +2 checks. Middle position checks, woman to my right bets, I raise. Everyone calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I check out looking to see if we have a straight. It's checked around.

River: K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet. Two callers. Utg +2 shows Q10. Woman to my right shows 99. My hand is good. My question is, should I have bet the turn? Did I miss a bet there? Comments.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Re: 10-20 Mohegan Question

I would bet out on the flop and continue betting on the turn. On the flop if you're up against a bigger pair you will probably get raised and you can 3-bet. Your hand is really disguised here. Imagine if you are up against AA - they will think you have something like KK or QQ and continue raising you.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Timiaga,

Good to see you posting! In any case, if the game is 10-20, you need to specify who has posted the kill button, since this changes the dynamic of the hand (in this game the kill is posted when a 5-10 pot reaches 100, not when someone wins two pots in a row). Also, there seems to be a lack of clarity in the detail. I hate the cap from the sb. You've put 2 BB's on the flop out of position aginst a pre-flop raise and re-raise. You essentially need to flop a set to win this hand. But, you did. . . so let's move on. Since you began with UTG+2 checks, I'm assuming you did, too, since you were the SB. If you capped pre-flop, bet the flop. Not just because you flopped a monster, but if you don't, people will put you on one and you're giving a freebie to everyone, like if you gave the 99 a free card and she picked up the 7 for the open-ender, ouch. You did get two bets from each on the flop, but then you CHECKED the turn. As Elysium would say , "ok, hmmmmmm. Ok, Tim, pre-flop, ooohh, no good. I'm putting you on AA, KK, QQ, and AKs and that's it. The flop, ok, no, wait, Timmmy, are you listening Timmy? No. . .The turn. Oh boy, Tim, I want you to re-read TOP and HPFAP, Tim, OK?" Bet the turn. Bet the River.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:54 AM

Glen,
Thanks for the input. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Hope this clears some things up. At Mohegan, if a pot is over $65, it's considered a kill. So really, your playing 10-20 for most of the day. It had been 10-20 for about an hour.

UTG+2 posted the kill. Sorry for leaving that out. My cap in the small blind was an attempt to knock him out. He was playing some crazy hands. (in this case Q10 off) I knew you would hate that raise out of position. The middle position and women to my right were trying to run me over, no doubt about it, which is why I went for the check raise on the flop. I knew they would bet into me.

I bet out on the river and got two callers.

Old 04-06-2003, 10:57 AM

I don't think pocket eights are worth 3 bets against two solid players who have raised and re-raised pre-flop, let alone worth capping it at 4 bets from the sb. I think you should fold pre-flop.

On the turn, how can you be afraid of J9 or 96 from solid players? I think you missed a bet. IMO-
Old 04-06-2003, 11:04 AM

Two things: 1) read Kevin J.' post, which is good as usual. 2) throw your home phone (I only have your work) in my personal message box, which you can do by clicking my name. . . I'll give you call on this nice Sunday Morning. . .
Old 04-06-2003, 04:24 PM

Ugh. I would muck this preflop and I don't think it's close. I think failing to bet the turn is a big mistake... you have no good reason to put anyone on the straight.. and if someone does manage to wake up with a straight, you still have ten outs.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:43 PM

Fold preflop. The end.

PokerPrince
Old 04-06-2003, 06:53 PM

You are going to cap the bet against solid players pre flop, then you get your perfect flop and you check the turn. The move is to fold pre flop, but since you did not, bet the hand till you know it is no good. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Swiss Cheese
Old 04-06-2003, 09:36 PM

Default You\'re not wrong, you\'re right ******NM*****