Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 01:41 PM

Default Did I overplay this hand against aggressive opponent?

Good 10-20 game, I've been winning and have good table control. When, "T", the single most aggressive pokerplayer I have ever seen sits down. Most famous quote from T, "I was prepared to go 14 bets with that guy preflop". Referring to a hand where he just beat a guys KK with his J4. In fact, I can't think of a time where I've ever seen T just call a bet unless it was capped.

Anyway, I've got AhQh UTG, I limp. Folded to T in midposition who raises. We get two callers and both blinds fold. I debate reraising, but decide to not build a pot so big that I can't shake anyone off it.

Flop comes AsKc2c. Checked to me, I bet, predictably T raises, folding everyone between us (good boy!). I make it 3 bets, he makes it 4 and I call.

Turn is the Js. I check and call his bet.

River is the Ac. I check. He bets. I raise. He 3-bets. I said "****, you win." and call anyway.

The pot was big enough that the river call was mandatory, but am I just getting myself in trouble by getting so agressive against a guy who will not back down? Or should I consider his reraises value bets for me?

Results later,

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2002, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Did I overplay this hand against aggressive opponent?

Why limp preflop unless you are planning on reraising the maniac? You "decide not to build a pot" multiway with AQs? Shame on you!

Other than that, it is often hard to know how far to go versus a very aggressive opponent when you have a strong but not spectacular hand. I find no fault with your play, depending on exactly how this guy plays postflop.

Old 12-30-2002, 04:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

id reraise preflop...youre hand plays well multiway...and also plays well against an idiot HU....best of both...reraise the damn thing...

good flop play...you got it HU...

river...

"The pot was big enough that the river call was mandatory"

you cant tell me youd fold against this player at this point...what are you putting him on? all of a sudden he may have a great hand? this is almost a mandatory call based on the player youre against, not the pot odds...if you see the river against this type of player, youre usually seeing the showdown with any reasonable hand....ESPECIALLY since it's HU...the only thing id consider folding is a busted draw...

i wouldve, at most, just called his raise on the river just in case...alot of things couldve hit. if the board was less coordinated i may reraise...

btw...how did he play postflop? did he ever slow down? when he had the J4 did he go nuts with 1 pair? 4s or Js? or did he play wild with J high the whole way? these factors also play into when to reraise on certain streets...

b

Old 12-30-2002, 06:49 PM

This hand is sort of strange. Why limp with AQs UTG unless you plan to reraise and build a big pot that no one can get away from? Limping and then calling maniac's guaranteed raise is a weak play.

You played the flop well, but I assumed you smooth-called his bet with the intention of check-raising (or bet-reraising if this guy will raise every time) the turn. Apparently you didn't. Why did you go so limp?

On the river, when a maniac goes three bets against you, why do you expect to be beaten? You have a big Ace, but nothing about your passive play this hand would clue him in to that fact.

As for being too aggressive... if you consider limp-calling preflop, smooth-calling a flop raise, and check-calling the turn aggressive, then ummm... if this twinkie is going to raise on nothing until he is beyond hopelessly beaten... well, let him do just that when you have a good hand.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
am I just getting myself in trouble by getting so agressive against a guy who will not back down?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are making tons of money off him when you have a hand, like you have here.

The bet on the flop to get it heads-up was great. The 3-bet was also good.

On the turn and river, you know he's going to bet/raise every time, so you just have to decide how many bets you want to put in.

I like betting and reraising him on the turn with top pair, top 2 kickers. I like betting and reraising him on the river with top trips, top 2 kickers. I wouldn't worry too much about him having the flush.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He 3-bets. I said "****, you win." and call anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think you are behind? From your description of him, he will always put in the last bet if he can, regardless of what he has.

Finally, I'll disagree with the other posters here and say that I like your idea of not limp-reraising him preflop (although open-raising would have been best).

1 - If the flop hits you, you'll easily be able to make up the lost bets.
2 - With a small pot, you should be able to knock out the other 2 players (which happened)

With this player, you want to be on his right, just like you are. It gives you the most flexibility in playing your hands - you can checkraise to keep people in, or you can bet out and have him raise and knock people out.