Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #2

I'm surprised nobody has discussed the "I have AA or KK" min-raise pre-flop by Villain.

Now he doesn't always have it, but he often does. And if he has it, he's probably the type to slow-play. But that board scared him, so he bet.

So I'm not about to push over the top. By calling, I hedge my bets, and if a scare card falls (usually a diamond), I might be able to push a timid player off the hand.

Otherwise, I just try to get it to showdown as cheaply as possible from here.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Do you really think that all AA players aren't concerned with the pot odds of calling to hit a set?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that all AA players aren't concerned with the pot odds of calling to hit a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Woot?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:29 PM

So do we get to find out what happened? Or do we hear from Curtains first?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM

I mentioned the min-raise. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 (t985)
Hero (t975)
Button (t975)
SB (t1030)
BB (t985)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1055)
MP1 (t1025)
MP2 (t985)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t72.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30.

Flop: (t162.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125.

Final Pot: t412.50

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good...this was a very tough hand for me. First off I havent read any replies, and I notice the turn action is not included.

Raising the flop is okay, but its a huge disaster if Im reraised. Lets say I make it 300 and my opponnent moves allin. I now am very unhappy because I don't want to fold, but probably should, yet Ive invested a large % of my chips.

One of my most important rules when I play is to go out of my way to avoid committing a large % of my stack and then having to fold. That explains the flat call in this spot. I felt that I would get the right kind of info I need later in the hand.

Of course raising the flop is surely fine, I just like to take the road that is associated with less risk, even if it does mean that my opponent will draw out on me in a smallish pot sometimse.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does this show SB raising from 45 to 72.5 which is 27.5 and HERO calling for 30 more? Sorry if this bugs noone else but I just want to be clear. I'm guessing that SB actually raised to 75?

I have no idea what this sort of min raise usually means at the 215 but it may mean that villain is a clown, in which case not raising him out of the pot in order to get more chips from him on the turn sounds good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised to 75.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15

[/ QUOTE ]

The SB (out of position postflop) MRR your CO raise. That could mean a lot of things, sometimes players actually do this with big pairs, sometimes with semi-shat. Hard to know where you're at exactly - you don't want to give the SB too much credit, but you want to proceed a bit cautiously (at least if you don't have notes on the SB, which you absolutely should have at the end of this hand if it goes to showdown). There's still plenty of foolios in the 215s doing odd things early on. If you "raise the flop for information" against this type of player, you're often times not going to get a straightforward answer. Getting to showdown for not too steep a price is optimal.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do if the villian bet another 125 on the turn?

Assuming it is below a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would depend on my feel. A bet amuont of 125 would signify weakness to me. Usually if they have a real hand they dont bet the exact same amount on the turn... Sometimes hands like this depend a bit on timing of the opponent's bet and feel and so on. If they make a relatively lazy and quick bet of 125 on the turn, you often can feel that they probably don't have that great a hand.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What would you do if the villian bet another 125 on the turn?

Assuming it is below a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of asking general questions like this it would be better if you had an opinion to offer yourself. Or to put it another way, why are you asking this question?

A reasonable answer to your question would be to say that if villain bets 125 on the turn then curtains will make a decision based on the information available to him, in other words he will play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

These aren't my threads. They are curtains'. He said to put up interesting hands. This one is interesting. I'd like to take part only as another person talking about curtains' train of thought, not as somebody saying whether it is right or wrong. Curtains asked me to do this and it is the least I can do for the clinic that watching these HH's is.

Personally I'd get as much in on that flop as I could, curtains disagree's...i am assuming he is right, i'd like to know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, dont worry you are going to find many hands where I probably didn't do the right thing. At least if I didn't do the right thing for myself, it won't be the right thing for other styles of play, if that makes any sense.

I feel comfortable with my play in this one, but it all fits into my style well.