Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 07:01 PM

Default 30-60 Bellagio madness

Playing in a loose 30-60 game at the Bellagio after the Final Four (and too many beers), I pick up [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 in the small blind.

Loose EP raises, three callers including the cutoff and the button, and I make a dubious call. BB calls also. Six of us see this flop:

[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5

I bet, EP calls, two more calls, and the button raises. I decide to three-bet to squeeze out the preflop raise. But only the big blind has folded, and my three-bet is called in four places.

Turn is:

[[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5] [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4.

Ugh. I may have made a second-best hand. But I bet to see
if there are diamonds out there. EP raises (could be [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q or something like that). But he might have raised on the flop with that. One folder and both the cutoff and button call cold. I may or may not be in trouble.
Should I three-bet?

Results to follow.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:17 PM

Default Re: 30-60 Bellagio madness

I think your call preflop is fine. You'll be the 5th player which isn't too bad for suited connectors, and you are already a third of the way in.

On the flop, I don't find that a bet does me much good very often. You rarely lose many overcard hands that you want to fold, and you also rarely can figure out whether someone has an overpair. Of course your hand has enough value that you probably like money going in, given the loose game, but I tend to check and see what develops.

The turn is where aggression has more value. I like your bet and would probably three bet. But then, I tend to over-pay those big suited cards when they happen to make a flush.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:38 PM

hi mike
whew, you got into a mess because of playing a possible winner out of position. it's hard to imagine winding up with a better hand; look at you there with top and a straight. and i've got to believe that had you known pre-flop that you'd be this strong, you would have gladly come in. you hit your hand pretty powerfully, but position is exerting its influence, and now you must call a raise that had only you known before about, you would likely have folded. positional info is tremendously helping your opponents too, all at the same time.

i don't like it mike. i think you have to fold. it seems that no matter what you do, you lose the maximum and contribute to the winner in this situation far more often than dragging down the same huge pot when you're in the lead. if you're leading here, they're folding. i find that when i'm out of position and contributing to the pot via someone elses raises, i do not have pot odds. oh sure, there's a math formula somewhere that mathematically tells me why i feel this way, and while i don't know what the formula is, doggonit i still feel this way. like when i was a kid and went to burger king with a dollar. i always knew that my whopper, fries and coke came back with a quarter and a penny. that was the mathematical universe of a saturday afternoon lunch. and nothing could change it. until one day, the lady behind the counter handed me back a measley dime. and still i wouldn't have cared only now, for dessert at the 'lil general' on my way home, i could only buy 1 hershey bar and nothing, instead of two hershey bars and change besides. a couple of empty bottles and maybe three hershey bars the old way.

no, i didn't know from inflation; a young louis ruykeiser with the latest keynesian economic graphs and charts didn't have to tell me i no longer had two hershey bars. i knew i didn't have them. i could feel it. the math for me was very tangible. like on this one mike; on this one my friend, i'm afraid you've only got one hershey.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:51 AM

"One folder and both the cutoff and button call cold. I may or may not be in trouble.
Should I three-bet?"

oh cut it out. fold.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 30-60 Bellagio madness--results

I did three-bet. River was:

[ [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] .

Yes, this was a blank. I bet and was called in three places.

I split the pot. EP had A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] , cutoff had pocket fives, and the button showed [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7, getting his half of the pot.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:37 PM

Default If I 3-bet that turn, I\'d be on tilt. 75-degree tilt. n/t

Old 04-07-2003, 02:44 PM

Default lol

i am speechless