Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:53 AM

Default JJ on a very scary board.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em
Converted w/ PonksSaver: http://www.pokermentor.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510
- - - HAND 3147195970 - - -
PreFlop: <font color="blue">HERO</font> is UTG+2 with <font color="green">J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> <font color="red">J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> (10 Players)
1 <font color="darkred">fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, 5 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls,

Flop: (6.50 SB) <font color="blue">3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> <font color="blue">8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> <font color="green">4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="green">bets</font>, BB <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="darkgreen">raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls,

Turn: (7.75 BB) <font color="green">6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="blue">HERO</font> <font color="green">bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls,

River: (10.75 BB) <font color="blue">7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> (3 Players)
BB <font color="green">bets</font>, UTG+1 <font color="darkred">folds</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> calls,

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

BB is a decent player. He is a little tricky and likes to raise TP on the flop or an overpair. He is more aggressive than the rest but not particularly good.

The river had me. I was almost sure I was beat. But the fact he raised the flop told me maybe A8, T9s, T9, 98s, 98.

I sucked it up and called the river. Also getting 12.75:1 for my call. Anyone see a fold here considering the zillion draws?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: JJ on a very scary board.

It looks fine to me. There are a number of ways you could be beat (diamonds, 87, and 65, for example), but BB may be betting the scare card with a hand like A8, figuring he was going to call anyway.

I would expect to lose, but I'd call.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 AM

He probably has you beat but it is worth a call. My guess would be the flush with the initial raise an attempt at a free card - don't know if he is good enough to pull this move though.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 AM

I play taht hand exactly like you do Nh sir.
-Andrew
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 AM

You played it just fine. Pay off the river, you only have to be right 8%.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM

This sucks.

...but you played it fine.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably has you beat but it is worth a call. My guess would be the flush with the initial raise an attempt at a free card - don't know if he is good enough to pull this move though.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/ring this to boot out UTG+1 with a flush draw is the most horrible play ever. He would have to be stupid to pull this move, not intelligent.

I would more than likely put UTG+1 on a flush draw than BB, however quite often bad players will c/r the flop with a flush draw when they don't know why they are doing so. He may also have flopped 2 pair hoping to c/r you on the river but this scare card may have let you check through.

I think he either has top pair or flopped 2 pair and I think you win far more than 12.75:1 lays you. He may also have had FD + pair...

Nice play sir
Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 PM

Default How much credit do you give your opponent?

That can be a hard question with difficult boards. I played JJ live yesterday 2/4 and raised out of the SB. Got 4 callers. Flop was KQx. Ouch. I bet out and get ready to fold to a raise. 4 callers. Turn is a blank, I bet. 1 fold, 3 callers. I still think I am beat. River, an A! Now I am ready to jump in the river and check. It checks around and I show first and WIN! I did not get to see the other cards. WTF were they playing or thinking? Weird stuff like this and good pot odds give us good reason to call down on larger pots when we are "sure" that we are beaten. We out think ourselves by thinking that we would never be in our opponents situation without cards that beat us. They do not think our way, they think THEIR way and it is OUR MISTAKE to see their hand through OUR EYES. Be very careful about giving your opponent too much credit by playing their hand your way.