Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Folding AK for your stack?

I am playing a $55 dollar multi tourny. 130 players left and the average chip stack is about 3700--I have 4165 in chips. I have just been moved to this table about 4 hands ago and witnessed nothing at the table thus far, so no reads. I pick up AK in the SB 75/150 blinds. A small stack goes all in for his last 500 chips then two players later a large stack moves all his 7000 chips in with 4 players still to act behind him, two large stacks, myself and another small stack. What should I do, what should I put him on?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Folding AK for your stack?

Odd play to push that much, doesn't look like AA/KK here, might be some donkish isolation play with a medium pair (99-JJish), other than that I don't really know, but Im not laying down AK here, especially with the SB's money already in the main pot. (I've layed down AK only once in the last month, it's a rare play for me)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:59 AM

AQ's in his range, and I doubt AA/KK are, so I call.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 AM

He knows the small stack is desperate and wants to isolate himself heads up against an inferrior hand. Your killing his range, especially since only four players are left. I see AT+,66+,KQ all making this play. Put your money in, your getting the best of it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM

call. large stack could be trying to isolate with any pocket pair (any at all), AK, AQ possibly even a suited A. given that you don't have any reads, I wouldn't count on him turning a suited A. This is a nice spot to accumulate some chips.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Fold.

While the big stack may be isolating the SS, he may not. Plus, your call may induce another one behind you further increasing the risk of losing UI.

You get to see the big stack's hand here for free. Take it and make notes.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

While the big stack may be isolating the SS, he may not. Plus, your call may induce another one behind you further increasing the risk of losing UI.

You get to see the big stack's hand here for free. Take it and make notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooooooooo!

The only hands you are afraid of here are AA or KK. If you have superhuman powers and know he has one of these hands, the please fold. If not, call.

Why in the Wide World of Sports would the villain shove his AA or KK? Sure he could be using double-reverse psychology ("If I shove they'll never put me on AA, and call with a marginal hand!"), but in most cases a bet means what it seems to mean. This bet means "I've got a medium pair or a decent ace, so please fold." AA or KK would smooth call or raise just a bit to try to entice someone to play.

Folding=Weak Tight.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM

And, you are happy to have other players come into the hand behind you. With two already all-in, it's likely you'll need to hit an A or K to take it down, so having another player in the pot mostly just means a bigger payday when you hit. In a race situation, more callers generally don't affect the equity of the AK nearly as much as they do that of the pocket pair.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 AM

Default This is not a coinflip, so call!

According to some, Hero should not call off his whole stack in this likely coin-flip situation. This is not a coinflip situation. True, Villian probably does not have AA or KK. However, his range VERY likely includes many unpaired A-high and K-high combinations. That said, our call is mandatory. Folding here is VERY weak-tight.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 PM

I was playing a 180 players on PS last weak and had AKs on the BB, a small stack (2.5k) went all-in UTG+1, Vilain CL with 20k, went all-in from MP, folded to me and I called, he had AA.

Will this happen again, maybe but on average a call I should do, I think so!

By the way, the small stack won with K10.... that's what pissed me off...