Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Trip J\'s weak kicker

Home game, 11 players started, down to 3. Payout heavily scewed to 1st. Villain is conservative preflop, with slightly below average aggression post-flop. Blinds 100/200. I have a stack of around t3000, his around t2300.

I'm in the SB, limp with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He checks.

The flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I checked, I felt if I bet he would fold, but If I checked he would bet a a wide margin of hands. (he seems to only bluff if its heads-up and checked to him) He suprisingly checked behind.

The turn is a Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . I wake up and fire t250. He calls.

The river is a J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I fire t400, he insta-pushes.

Insta-call?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Trip J\'s weak kicker

dont like the play on any street. none.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2005, 05:06 PM

Im asking about the river. I realize the previous streets were played wrong.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow guys, good job giving OP any real advice.

First of all, in an SnG (which is basically what this is, probably shoulda posted in that forum, this is MULTI table tourneys) I pretty much never open complete. Either in early stages or later stages for the most part. Obviously somewhat dependant on my stack/his stack size. But more important is how I think he will react, if he's been known to play back at me, I'll often fold J6s here. So my standard line PF is to raise to 3x the BB, hopefully he folds to you, and your read is that he should as he's pretty conservative/tight. I'd fold to an all in, or almost any raise that isn't like only a blind to call.

On the flop I think it's risky to check this, I would have just bet. If he folds that's fine, after all you only have TP w/ a weak kicker. If he calls we also get some info.

Turn is fine.

I'd call this river. You have trips heads up. Maybe he slow played something, I dunno I guess I could let a read tell me to fold, but he didn't even raise the turn or bet the flop and could have. That's a real slow slow play. Sounds more like he thinks you're bluffing and is trying to steal back. You're in the money, and need chips to try to make first, I go broke here.

I'd call, you have trips. Sorry if it didnt work out.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given the way you played it on the earlier streets, i have to call his push on the river.

did he hit the flush?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM

I think you are fooked here. Not sure what he could have that he would play like this and not have you beat. You either got beat by a slow played set, the flush or KJ or AJ. Or all of the above! :-)

Definitely bet this flop everytime. Your kicker sucks. I would bet the pot and hope to take it down right there.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given the way you played it on the earlier streets, i have to call his push on the river.

did he hit the flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I called and took down the pot. He showed Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

And thanks for the comment, Dave.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 PM

I call, and here's my reasoning. If he had JT+ I'd expect him to raise preflop (although you do peg him as conservative do you think he would do this?). Then on the flop when he checks I reduce the likelihood of spades as a semibluff to pick up the pot would make sense with spades (I don't totally disregard them, but IMO the likelihood of spades is reduced). So when he pushes on the river, I have to think my jacks are good for the most part with my most likely loss being to J8-JT, jacks with good but certainly not strong kickers. Not totally sure what villian has, I just find it hard to believe he has me beaten with JT+ or spades so I call.

I do not like the flop check BTW.