Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Experiment in Table Image

I was a regular 2-4 3-6 4-8 player in AC. I was there 3-4 days a week for a few months, while playing 20-25 hours a week online. But then I moved to Topeka Kansas for Law School and I haven't returned to AC in 6 months.

As an experiment I wanted to try something new. I'm normally a quiet guy and I keep to myself not talking to anyone and just playing solid poker. However, last night I showed up at The Borgata and decided to be "that guy." I sat down at the 3-6 table with $250 in chips, my I-POD and my sunglasses. I then began to raise any hand I was going to play. K-9 UTG, I raise, A7 in MP I raise, ect, ect. I just played very aggressive for the beginning of the session, and then after taking down a few pots started to brag about how "good I was running."

This pissed off all of the older gentlemen at the table, and right when I could tell it was getting to a boil, I stopped and went back to my solid - TAG poker, but still keeping my I-POD and sunglasses on.

I was amazed at the calls I began to get. I would have AT, I raise and get 3 callers it comes KQJ - I bet and they all fold. - 3 people called my raise and no one had a K-Q or J?

I had QQ and the BB called me with 4-2 on one occasion, I can think of countless examples of the loose calls I got because of my image, and wound up a big winner for the session.

This is my first time with this experiment in table imagine - being the jerk kid - who isn't afraid to create action - and it seemed to work.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sorry about any grammar errors in advanced.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Experiment in Table Image

I did this very same thing playing $2/4 at the Trop last Sunday night. Had the whole table on tilt. I am a really shy and reserved person by nature, but I think being the a-hole brought out something in me. I may need to explore the studio space a bit more with this.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Relative to how you normally play, did you make more money (or BB's), or would you say you did about the same in the end? Is it something you would consistently do in the future because of how it worked out for you this time?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:52 PM

I'm thinking there just might be a sample-size issue here. But all the best to you if it seems to be working.

Not sure I could do it myself: EV or no EV, memories of the IPod, boasting, sunglasses, etc., would keep me awake at night whispering "the horror, the horror".
Old 12-22-2005, 04:31 PM

There is no need to act like a douchebag if you want to have your image help you. In NL games, simply making a few big bluffs early and showing them, combined with always having a drink in front of you (even if you are not drinking heavily) and being friendly and talkative generally can be quite helpful. Just remember that once youve planted the seed you should generally not make big moves because people will be looking to pick you off.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM

I don't plan on doing it full time, and I wouldn't say I was a douchebag - I wasn't raising with COMPLETE trash, or telling other people they were playing bad, I was just saying I was "getting lucky."

And compared to how I normally do - it was a little average, but I think it would have been lower for that particular session if I didn't have the ipod - sunglasses.

I'm not the ipod-sunglasses guy - I just wanted to try something out. The next day I was there dresses normally, and I won the drawing for new laptop computer. So maybe I really was just running well.

I just wanted people's opinion on the "punk kid - WPT WannaBe" table image.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:31 PM

I've done this in vegas a few times. It's good to piss some players off b/c they will pay you off in an attempt to "get you"...

don't do it too much though, it's [censored] draining to talk so much

also, IPOD + Sunglasses always = douche
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 PM

This fine in a tourney, but in a ring game, I think it depends on the length of the session and how long the opponents will be hanging around.