Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 03:26 AM

Default To cont. bet, or not to cont bet? 11r Stars 45k

Approaching the bubble, and of course the table is getting a little tight. Been getting a little impatient, avg stack is 50k, i have 41, blinds are 1000/2000 with antes of 75.

I pick up KJo UTG+2 i make it 5000, which has been a big enough raise to pick up the blinds. Get one caller by a sorta large stack, he has 70k.

Flop
Ac8c7s
Hero checks, Villan Checks,

Turn 7d Hero bets 11k, Villan calls 11k.

River is Kings. Hero Checks, Villan pushes, Hero Calls.

On the river I thought I might be ahead, since he didnt bet out on the flop, which would suggest he didnt have the A and wasnt protecting it from a club draw. On the river I thought it was possible he had an Underpair or missed club draw and called. I would like to get advice on all streets is possible, but more importantly, i think everything revolves around the flop, should I have bet it?

I know checking looks really suspicious, but how supicious is it since the clubs are there. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: To cont. bet, or not to cont bet? 11r Stars 45k

+ even though raises to 5 have been working, I think a bigger raise is better because it is going to tend to push more random hands out and make it less correct for the blinds to call unless they have something. More like 6 or 7.

+flop: I think you need to continuation bet at least some of the time. I used to do it every time and that was a mistake because they knew I had to be lying some of the time and they wouldn't believe me. Not doing it when you miss is a good time not to do it, but if you only skip the c bet when you miss, it's a tell that you missed. I think when there's a club draw and a str8 draw, it's better to c bet to make the draws pay.

+turn: if you were done on the flop then you should've stayed done. the 7 didn't help you. It might've helped him if he had a set or a 7 (A7? 78? ) his flat call could represent strength as well as a club or str8 draw

+river: dislike the call. you just have second pair. if you fold your M is below ten but you're still in it.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: To cont. bet, or not to cont bet? 11r Stars 45k

Raise at least 3xBB here... I'd make a large cont bet on the flop here to represent the ace and you being afraid of the clubs. I've noticed that large bluff cont bets often works on a draw heavy flops. People tend to believe you've got an overpair (or a piece of the flop) and is just trying to protect your hand against draws. On this particular flop, your opponent may lay down a weak ace...