Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-26-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Curtains 1: AKs from the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, that can't be a good turn card for us. I'm putting the brakes on. Call me weak tight. What are we ahead of here other than some random PP? Check-call a small bet, fold to any real heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak tightie

I play this pretty much the same if I am smooth calling pf, but I definitely like putting a reraise in here.

lbk
Old 12-26-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, that can't be a good turn card for us. I'm putting the brakes on. Call me weak tight. What are we ahead of here other than some random PP? Check-call a small bet, fold to any real heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak tightie

I play this pretty much the same if I am smooth calling pf, but I definitely like putting a reraise in here.

lbk

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about pre-flop, I was talking about the turn. Don't tell me you're getting aggressive on that turn card.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:59 PM

I like the smooth call preflop. It keeps villains in the dark about what we are holding, keeps the pot small given that we are OOP, and prevents the weird mini-raiser from getting an opportunity to reraise a monster pre-flop (particularly given that we are suited and we want the opportunity to flop a nut flush draw and potentially stack the weird mini-raiser if he's holding something he can't let go of).
Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Unfortunately it also keeps you in the dark about what he's holding. I guess it would probably work better on Axx flops, but not flops like this. Its not something I would do regularly, but I can see a place for it every so often to mix things up
Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 PM

As for post-flop, I also agree with curtains' entire line and would play it the same way. I would call the reraise on the river because I'm getting something like 5:1 odds and there are many hands I might be ahead of given villain's line. Villain's check behind on the turn is absolutely bizarre and I have no idea what he could turn over here that beats us, unless he's just a poor player.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it also keeps you in the dark about what he's holding. I guess it would probably work better on Axx flops, but not flops like this. Its not something I would do regularly, but I can see a place for it every so often to mix things up

[/ QUOTE ]

At this stage of an SNG I'd rather be playing a small pot in the dark then building a big pot OOP against a hand that very well could be better than mine. Don't forget if your raise preflop you are increasing the amount of any continuation bet you are going to throw out there on 2 out of 3 flops that miss your hand.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Assuming I don't raise preflop I play it the same.

I think in theory river should be folded but in practice I never fold it.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:10 PM

I'm having a real tough time putting villain on a hand. I have no idea what the min-raise means. It seems from the action that he is afraid of the board as much as you. I can't see him giving you 2 free cards after the flop and turn if he had 2 pair or a set. KQ and maybe AT seems to be the most likely cards he would hold unless he's the kind to raise with low PP in late position. It would be a real killer if he hit a set on the river.

I'd have to call this river just for information.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I cannot put this guy on a hand if he is anything other than a donk. Maybe I am the donk and will learn something when the results are posted.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:14 AM

what did villan have? anybody know?