Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Default \"I Wanna See That Hand\" at MGM Las Vegas

Howdy all,

So I spent some time at the MGM poker room in Vegas this past weekend. I am from Colorado, and in the CO poker rooms, as far as I know the rule is that if an opponent calls your river bet and mucks, you can ask to see his hand. But, you have to be in the hand to be able to do this.

At the MGM, at the 4/8 table I played at, jerkoffs that were not even involved in the hands were constantly demanding to see the cards of players who called rivers bets and mucked. And the dealers always complied.

Is this standard, can anyone at the table ask to see the hand of a player who called a river bet and mucked, even if they are not involved in that particular hand? If this is just the MGM policy then I'm through with the MGM. Or are all Vegas rooms this way?

Thx!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: \"I Wanna See That Hand\" at MGM Las Vegas

This shocked me this weekend as well, I thought it was anyone involved in the hand, but it seemed like everyone and their mother was asking to see cards.

(I was the guy with the pirate and big ass Aztec-style temple chip stack. I also liked spades.)

-d
Old 06-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Any player can request to see any hand that makes it to showdown regardless of whether the requesting player also made it to the showdown. As far as I know this is the rule everywhere in vegas and most places in the country for that matter. The intent of the rule is to prevent collusion but that is rarely what requesting players are asking to see the cards for!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:09 PM

A lot of cardrooms have that rule. Although one guy started asking a couple hands in a row to see the losing hand, and the dealer told him.. Okay you can ask every once in a while but you can't ask every hand, and the reason that they made the rule is to help with collusion. Atleast that is one dealer at cantebury said while we were playing.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of cardrooms have that rule. Although one guy started asking a couple hands in a row to see the losing hand, and the dealer told him.. Okay you can ask every once in a while but you can't ask every hand, and the reason that they made the rule is to help with collusion. Atleast that is one dealer at cantebury said while we were playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for the dealer. I caught holy hell for pointing out to a $1-3 stud table that the reason for the rule was collusion. Serves me right for trying to convince a $1-3 table of anything.

But the floor did say that he wouldn't let someone do this several times a day. And to the OP, IIRC Foxwoods will let anyone ask to see it, in the hand or not.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC Foxwoods will let anyone ask to see it, in the hand or not.

[/ QUOTE ]The ruling I've always heard is that anybody can ask to see the cards, but if the WINNER asks, the cards are live. If a player outside of the hand asks, the hand is killed first.
-Sam
Old 06-28-2005, 01:28 PM

I was right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From Robert's Rules.
[ QUOTE ]
5. Any player who has been dealt in may request to see any hand that has been called, even if the opponent's hand or the winning hand has been mucked. However, this is a privilege that may be revoked if abused. If a player other than the pot winner asks to see a hand that has been folded, that hand is dead. If the winning player asks to see a losing player’s hand, both hands are live, and the best hand wins.

[/ QUOTE ]-Sam
Old 06-28-2005, 01:40 PM

I taught myself to toss them to the muck. All the cards have to do is barely touch the muck, and they cannot see your cards. Everyone who plays B&M should learn to do this.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 PM

And prepare to listen to Annie Duke sprint her ass over from the Rio and bitch you out.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I taught myself to toss them to the muck. All the cards have to do is barely touch the muck, and they cannot see your cards. Everyone who plays B&M should learn to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice, but get a load of this....

I was about to muck my losing two pair when an extreme douche who wasn't in the hand (I won a huge pot off him and he was steamed) demanded to see my hand. I stuffed my cards into the muck and the dealer actually fished them out of the muck and showed them to said douchebag. Douchebag proceeds to taunt me saying I'd have to bury the cards deeper next time to avoid him getting to see them.

I can't say that I'll be going back to the MGM room. I used to really like it, but this trip the players just got under my skin with all the requests to see mucked cards, trash talking, berating fish, and what not. Its not the MGMs fault though, its a nice room and the staff is pleasant.