Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus die for us?

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore the cross was originally constructed in a T, the verticle represents the life know here on Earth, the verticle represents the everlasting life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, gee, that sounds like an objective analysis. (Of course, there have been thousands crucified, but I guess the two beams didn't mean anything for the rest of them.)
Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What ELSE have you read? Christian perspective is not the be all end all of religious thought.
I too have given up on the dogma of 'religion' yet I still find the need to feed my soul.
I am spiritual not religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But I choose to "fill my brain" with books I feel contain more wisdom, rather than "filling my soul" with mysticism. You can learn a lot about other religious thought through history, etc. And being spiritual is kind of a catch-all term. I am deeply inspired by the writings of Thoreau and other naturalists. Is this spiritual?

Nietzsche said it well: "Mystical explanations are considered deep; the truth is that they are not even superficial."
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Why sure it did you silly. If the others had overcome their Ego's they would have resurected also.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 PM

ok but what do YOU say?? where is YOUR great quote?? I find more spirtual likeness in quantum physics than in the Judeo Christian Bible. And yes, that would be spiritual.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok but what do YOU say?? where is YOUR great quote?? I find more spirtual likeness in quantum physics than in the Judeo Christian Bible. And yes, that would be spiritual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Review my posts, I'm sure there's some good ones.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Very original.
Try harder.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM

If there are any real Bible lovers out there who know better, please feel free to dispute this as I'm not 100% sure I have this right. I may have it confused with something else. But I think that there isn't really anywhere in the Bible where it actually says that Jesus died for people's sins but that this is some popular notion that started centuries later and now is accepted by most Christians as some kind of common knowledge.

By the way, I completely agree that this idea of having to die for everyone's sins seems off the wall to me, along with the idea that we all deserve to benefit or be harmed by what someone else chose to do in dying on a cross or eating a forbidden apple. Nice fairy tale though. Right up there with some of the best from the Brothers Grimm and Mother Goose. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Great Post, you're a little negative though, lol.

You don't understand the problem Jesus faced AS a human. This goes hand in hand with WHY we are here.

The human body craves experience, lust, exitement, all these things are stimulus.

The temptation for him to STAY was huge.

We are HERE because God doesn't want wussies in heaven. IF you can be placed on earth, with all the tempations, and still stay true. He (God) will get a quality citizen.

Earth is polarizing. You either are turned off by the world or are assimilated by it. I learnt this at my work, full of liars, and backstabbers. You either become like them or fight to change the black atmosphere. Which I do.

It also let the Jews know sacrifices weren't needed anymore, Jesus counts for all of us.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't understand the problem Jesus faced AS a human. This goes hand in hand with WHY we are here.

The human body craves experience, lust, exitement, all these things are stimulus.

The temptation for him to STAY was huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the Son of God be tempted to stay? How do you know what his body craved if he has seen what Heaven was like (if it really is so great) and his father (and probably his card buddies) were in heaven too? To say the Son of God wanted to stay on earth but didn't (as some sacrifice) is a huge leap of faith (i.e., it fits with your conclusion, so you twist it as such when there is no reason it must be this way).
Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very original.
Try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

From an essay I wrote a couple years ago ("God is Dead"), I like this:

"To deny the self is to excuse an individual from elevating himself."

In other words, when you claim we are all unworthy sinners at the mercy of a great and generous God, then you have removed responsibility for elevating your own existence, for your existence is meaningless except to please and worship a supreme being. Any Christian who argues about the meaningless of life without the concept of an active God for which we must serve fails to see that such a view does not add any more meaning to life, but possibly makes life even more meaningless.

Have I tried hard enough to appease you, now? Or shall you sit in judgement still with no credibility of your own to rest on.