Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: How smart are you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood mensa. If you're so smart go do something with your life. Cure cancer, get rich, become President - whatever floats your boat. Then I will look at you and say "There's a smart guy." Joining a club to feel superior and pat each other on the back is a waste of time.I pwn standardized tests like SATs and IQ tests. I'm sure I would be welcome at mensa, but I'm a dumbass. I've never accomplished anything worthwhile so just how impressive could a membership in mensa be?

I totally agree with this. A person who joins MENSA is like someone who buys a Porsche to compensate for his small you know what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is entirely true. I think the point of joining these organizations is to give you the chance to share your thoughts or discuss something with other intellectual people. The average person is really stupid and you can't discuss certain "intelligent" things with them. And even those that are "smart" will often not want to discuss certain things with you becuase they are simply not interested. What do you all think?

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. you guys are probably making quick assumptions on why people join and what they do in mensa w/o sufficient info

[/ QUOTE ]

I passed the MENSA test when I was put into gifted and talented schools when I was younger. I didn't join to compare mental penis size with anyone. In fact, I'm an athletic, beer drinking, frat boy...hardly someone who would really "fit" in at a MENSA meeting.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:59 AM

Yes I probably generalized about MENSA. But I believe many people are there becasue they do not feel successful enough. I do not know the exact details (I might be wrong on this one), but you can join MENSA if you score in the top 2% on at least one of several test. Now use binomial distribution to figure out not everybody is top 2% if they have several attempts with a 2% success rate.

Most people believe they are smarter than they actually are. For example look at this thread and the +130 IQ crowd (and not to mention +150 - I think the average IQ of profs at Oxford is 130). And many people in this thread guess or use internet and unsupervised tests to report their IQ, even tho only results of timed and supervised IQ tests are reliable.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I probably generalized about MENSA. But I believe many people are there becasue they do not feel successful enough. I do not know the exact details (I might be wrong on this one), but you can join MENSA if you score in the top 2% on at least one of several test. Now use binomial distribution to figure out not everybody is top 2% if they have several attempts with a 2% success rate.

Most people believe they are smarter than they actually are. For example look at this thread and the +130 IQ crowd (and not to mention +150 - I think the average IQ of profs at Oxford is 130). And many people in this thread guess or use internet and unsupervised tests to report their IQ, even tho only results of timed and supervised IQ tests are reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very difficult to believe that the average IQ or professors at Oxford is 130, but that seems awfully hard to prove.

The only IQ tests that I really believe are the in depth ones I had done as a kid when they were trying to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Most of the other "geniuses" I know went through similar child hoods and schoolings as I.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 AM

In high school in 1985 I had a 1290 on the SAT. But I recently bought a SAT test book to prove a point to my friend and took 5 sample tests and scored 1550,1550,1580, 1600, and 1600, in that order. The test is a joke now.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

standardized tests are very stupid IMO, but better than other criteria used for college admission

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only are standardized tests stupid, but you should research how they measure your "IQ", and what that really is.

I scored just under 1400 on the SATs, but in my defense, I didn't really GO to high school; I maintain that had I not skipped the majority of classes, 1500-1600 would have been attainable. I mean, there's not really anything on that test with great difficulty as you all know. It's more time management and at least being familiar with certain concepts.

I play 8+ tables of 5/10 (6 max).

My grandfather was a genius, graduated Columbia with his Master's when he was 18, taught at Columbia as Professor of Spanish. He spoke several languages. My father went to Princeton University and is a dentist. I went to Harvard University...to hang out near the campus and watch people play chess...I still plan on sneaking into Oxford some day.

M
Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 AM

i only got a 1590 but in my defence i had robbed a liquer store the night before and was trying to dodge the police so that was weighing on my mind. also i had done about 20 shots of everclear so I had a hard time reading the questions since i was temporarily blind lolz. i definately over estimated my abilitees probably because i have a 175 iq i thought i could ace it drunk lololol!!!1111
Old 10-30-2005, 12:03 PM

1510 SAT (790M, 720V)...back in the 80's when the SAT's were still actually difficult.

Approx. 150 IQ.

2/4 and 3/6 limit.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't any other dumb people responding. We want to know how smart you are, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I didn't get a 701 & 701

I got a 430 in math and a 480 in verbal

[/ QUOTE ]

Btw I was joking about this, I didn't get a 940, it was much higher. Like at least by 30 points maybe.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM

IQ 140, 3/6 6 max holdem, $50NL, $10 SNGs / multis.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:06 PM

SAT=1250 (650 math)

5/10 and 10/20 6max